Mobil 1 Synthetic How Many Miles To Next Change of Oil?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, the onus will be on Ford to PROVE that improper maintenance caused any engine failure under warranty. The manufacturer cannot REQUIRE proof of maintenance.

I use Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec. With the expense I change it every 5,000 miles. I usually change with at 3,000 miles with conventional oil.

I use Motorcraft syn blend. About $2 less per quart and mpg is just as good as full syn oil. Change at 5k intervals as recommended. Lot's of opinion about oil. If you use the cheapest dino oil that meets specs and change as recommended; you will never have an oil related failure. Most of us, though, care too much about our vehicles to be worried about saving a few dollars a year.

I have 21K and just changed for the third time; 5K, 10K and now 20K.

The 10K change was RP 5W30, as was the 20K. It was dirty but not black.

Nelson, not required to maintain documentation for maintenance, so I reckon it's a gamble. Kinda like buying a Ford in the first place.

grump

Nelson,

Ford would need to be able to show that oil failure caused the engine problem. Synthetic oils have superior, longer life additives and the oil is not damaged by extreme heat that cooks dyno oils, so as long as you do not push the synthetic oil manufacturers chang intervals, you are not going to have any warranty problems.

...Rich

Frams are weak inside. If you MUST get a Fram, get a ToughGard. I had been using Mobil 1 in my old truck changed every 5k, but my UOA from the lab on Motorcraft oil at 5k looked just as good. I just got a UOA from my dad's Cadillac running Mobil 1 Extended Performance for 11,200 miles and it looked fine (note that newer Caddy's hold 7.5 quarts too). I'd say plain Mobil 1 should be good for 10k if you keep it topped up, but I'd get a UOA to be sure.

Latest posts