Monroe Reflex

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am out with my wife last night and we are about 3 buildings down from the Sears so I tell her I want to walk over and talk to someone in automotives to see what kind of price they have on the Monroe Reflex shocks. I walk in and they have a display set up for their shocks with a sign that says free installation on shocks when ordering 2 or more. Of course they don't have the reflex on the display so I call a sales person over and ask him about putting Monroe shocks on my 05 ST and he goes over to the computer and pulls up the ST to see what is available. He says, the only shocks we have listed from Monroe are the Reflex shocks (duh), so I ask him for a price on them.....109.00 per shock!! I tell him that is over priced from what I have been hearing. That is 450+ for the 4 shocks. Now I am wondering if he was reading it wrong and it was really 109.00 for the front 2 and 109.00 for the back 2. He tried to sell me on the fact that they were warrantied for a lifetime and Sears warrantied the installation for 1 year. What do you guys think?

Richard

Don't do it!! $109 per shock is ascinine. The reflexes, when I bought my shocks, were $53 each IIRC. And all Sears offer free installation of Monroe Reflex shocks, they also all have the lifetime warranty. I would go elsewhere. You shouldn't have to pay more than $250 to get Reflexes installed (in some cases less).

I've heard alot of people on here talking about putting Monroe Sensatrac shocks on their tracs, but they were not listed for the Trac in their computer. Is it only a certain year model that they made them for that would fit the Trac?

Richard

Richard,

I just checked the Monroe web site. Here are the Sensa-Trac part numbers for the ST:

Front: 37177

Rear: 37035

Thanks TrainTrac. Their website only list through the year 04 for the ST. Mine is an 05 Model. Do you think they would have changed between 04 and 05? I went ahead and submitted a help request on their site to see if they can send me a list of compatible shocks for this truck. Maybe that will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shocks are the same. They just haven't updated their database to include model year 2005. Most aftermarket parts companies are slow to update for the new model year.

You might want to double check today with them and hopefully find someone more nolegible, I bet that was the price for a pair. The shocks havent changed at all through the years. When I got mine in october I paid about 75 per shock canadian.

Dallas

He screwed up. I had the Reflexes priced at 250 something with installation at my sears. They also offered the Sensa-Tracs but they would have to order them. I would check back or try a diffrent Sears.:)

If you have another Sears in your area go to it, and check the price there. Also, I think the $109 incl. installation, but I paid $50 to have 2 shox install at Big O (I was lazy & it was raining as I don't have access to covred work area). The shocks are a really easy install even if you are a novice at working on vehicles. Just check the projects under "Ride & Handling" for how-to.

I am going to go back in this weekend and talk to someone again. There really aren't many good places here, and I know Sears is mentioned alot on here as a good place to go for shocks. Only one Sears here unfortunately, but I think it was for the pair as well (although thats not what he told me). If I can get them installed for $109 a pair, then that I think is reasonable. I am going to print out what the Monroe site says is compatible with the trac to take with me as ammo :).

Thanks for the help all.

Richard

I wonder if he wasn't quoting you the price for struts, Richard. Sounds stupid, I know, but I was on some website earlier this week pricing shocks for the ST and the site listed both shocks and struts for the ST. The $109 price is about what the site listed the struts for, if I remember correctly. Could be Sears' computer is screwwed up too.

I just read the projects that deal with replacing the shocks. Neither mentioned torque settings for the attachment bolts. Does Ford have recommended torques for these bolts?

Rodger - I knew that, which is why I know it sounds like a dumb suggestion. Just saying that in searching online I came across at least one site that listed both shocks & struts for the ST. Just figured it might be a similar situation with Sears.

That's true that one needs to make sure that the person behind the cash register is knowledgeable enough to know the difference.

Richard, Ask for the Mgr. at the Sears Auto Center to make sure you are getting the correct info. If they still say $109/ shock, then I would go somewhere else.