Monroe vs Sears Shock Warranty

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Taylor

Reaction score
I just came back from a Sears store, where about 60,000 miles ago, I had Monroe SensaTrac shocks installed. They are now worn out. However, Sears says that unless they are leaking or broken, they will not replace them. At the Sears store, they said this was Monroe policy.

I looked at the Monroe warranty info online, and they specifically say that they will pay for the worn out shocks. http://www.monroe.com/support/warranty.asp

However, when I called Monroe, they said that Sears has their own warranty for the shocks, and whatever Sears warranty is, is what Monroe has to go by. :banghead:

When I bought these shocks, I expected to get the MONROE warranty, NOT the Sears warranty! :angry:

I have a call into a person at Sears, but have yet to get a callback.

Anyone else had this problem???

EDIT: Got a call back from Monroe(after talking with them a 2nd time), and they said they would look into this with Sears and call me back...

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris- Check out Monroe's web site re: warranty.

Safe and Sound Guarantee (Tech Support)

Tenneco Inc. warrants qualifying Monroe products against defects and wear-out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions for as long as such original purchaser owns the vehicle on which they were originally installed.

It's in writing, on Monroe's OWN web page. Use it to YOUR advantage. Good Luck. :banana:

Go to a Monroe shop if you have one close to you and they should hold up the warranty and replace them if "Monroe" says that the shocks are covered. :banana:

The problem is that the receipt and work order for the original work are from Sears. I took advantage of one of their free install sales. I'm not sure another shop would want to work on it, knowing that I had bought them from and had them installed at Sears. That's why I'm getting Monroe involved, as they should be able to work something out as to where I can get them replaced. I'm not going to run all over the place trying to get them replaced until I hear back from Monroe, and see what they say. After my second call to Monroe, they have been helpful, but have not yet committed to sending me somewhere else.

I've done some more web searching, and it seems it depends on what Sears shop you go to whether they will replace them or not. Some will and some won't. Lots of people pretty unhappy with Sears over this issue... :fire:

The shocks are still Monroe's and warrantied under Monroe. Take it there and tell them you talked with Monroe warranty department and they said to take it to them.

I'm not sure another shop would want to work on it, knowing that I had bought them from and had them installed at Sears.

If you don't tell them, how will another shop know you got them at Sears? As long as it says Monroe on the shocks, then you should be able to get them serviced at any shop that installs Monroe shocks.

They need the original receipt for warranty work per

http://www.monroe.com/support/documents/warranty_claim.pdf

The minimum requirements for a consumer to be eligible for Warranty coverage are:

❑✓ To be the Original purchaser of the qualifying Tenneco products.

❑✓ To present the Consumer's Bill of Sale for the original purchase of the qualifying Tenneco products which clearly has part number and

other customer information (a copy will need to be submitted with warranty claim documentation).

Note: Consumer retains original Bill of Sale as documentation for future warranty needs

and

http://www.monroe.com/support/warranty.asp

To make a claim under this warranty, return the worn-out or defective product with the dated original receipt to the dealer from whom it was purchased or to a TA dealer for verification and exchange under this warranty.

Since the Monroe corporate is closed now, I'll wait untill tomorrow to see what they come up with. BTY, the Monroe people I'm talking with are 30 miles north of me in Monroe, Mi. Maybe I'll take a ride! :grin:

What I want is something in writing from Monroe to walk into another shop with. Just me walking in somewhere and saying that Monroe said it was ok probably isn't going to cut it. If it was my shop, I'm not sure I would buy it either.

I agree that they are Monroe shocks and that Monroe should pay for the replacement. And I realize that I will have to pay to have them installed. Getting that done does not seem to be as easy as it sounds...

This might be one of those tough lessons to learn. Aren't the shocks much more than it would cost to install them? I know it would be a pain but the best deal you may get is free shocks from Monroe.

There is a company that sells identity protection. They say they'll cover you up to a million dollars "if you become a victim of identity theft while you are a *** member because of some failure or defect in our service". If something happens to your identity, how are you going to prove it was because of a failure on their part? All they have to say is "prove it"!!

Things sound good until you look into the details. I wish you luck in this!!

I know it would be a pain, but the best deal you may get is free shocks from Monroe.

That's all that I have been looking for... I understand that I will have to pay for the installation. No problem with that. No callback today yet either.

Chris T, how did it all end?

I had a similar process as you - here's the title of my post:

Monroe Shock Warranty - Getting Replacements?

My post is in the Suspension category. I got Sears to replace mine for free when I took in a copy of the Monroe warranty.

StanF

Latest posts