more electrical issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt reed 2

Reaction score
so i posted a bit back.

driver window not going down...making clicking noise.

then power lock in driver door not going down when clicking lock button.

now...on the way home yesterday, the battery light went on(battery is about 2 years old)

so i charged it and reattached the terminals and couldn't start it (clicking noise)

replaced a very corroded terminal and started it up, no battery light, drove it around a bit, put it in the garage.

now, this morning, the light came back on.

is it as simple as a new battery?

May be, could also be the alternator or a bad belt. I would check both cables and both ends of the cables, not just the battery side.

If the connector was badly corroded the cable itself may be bad, that crap travels like cancer under the insulation where you cannot see it.

Clean the cables as suggested, then throw a fluke on the battery while the trac is off, take a reading, then while it is running, take a reading.

Trac off should be something very close to 12 volts I believe

Trac running should be something around high 13 to mid 14's I believe. If not, depending on age of your battery, your alternator could be going bad. That is what happened to me.

Cheers

Kinley

The battery light is NOT normally a battery, it is normally an alt issue, BUT i would do as suggested above, Clean all connections, and have the charging system tested..

Todd Z