More issues with my Gen 2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Allen

Reaction score
We'll I took my truck in for the 70k service this week. Looks like they need to now replace some seal on the drive shaft?? I don't remember what it is but man I think I have a lemon.

- Lower Bally Joint

- Control Arm

- CV Joint

- Full Suspension

- Full Stabilizer Supports

- Rack And Pinion

- Drivers side power window is starting to act up

I hate to say it but I think its time to say goodbye to the Track. Anyone else experienced these problems with their Gen 2? I love the vehicle, it's perfect but I'm afraid I'm going to put more money into it than what it's worth... and boy the F-150's sure look good.

Side rant... I keep my track in pristine condition both outside and in... When the service guy backed it out he stepped all over my kick panel and left his greasy finger prints all over my door lol... Icing on the cake :)

Sorry to hear about all your problems. I am past 70k on mine, and only major thing I have had on mine was both exhaust manifolds were warped and broke the studs out of the head, but that was covered under warranty.

If I were you I would take it somewhere else and get those checked out. The ball joint and control arm you can likely check yourself by jacking it up and looking for play in the wheel.

The CV joint... 4WD? Again you might be able to climb under it and check for play in the joints front and rear. Does it make a clicking noise or anything?

Full Suspension: When I worked at Advance Auto and went to the training by Monroe they kept drilling into us that all the shocks and struts must be replaced at 50k miles.. I call BS. They should be replaced when worn out. If this is the dealer, look in the maintenance book and I bet it says that it should be serviced or inspected at 70k.

Stabilizer Supports? Are they talking about the "hood lifts"? Do they hold up your hood? Then they work. If not, for like $40 you should be able to replace both by visiting Advance Auto/Autozone/Pep Boys/Your favorite place.

Rack and Pinion: ?? I have nothing for you. Not usually a part that wears out quickly or fails. It does on occasion, but again it is rare.

Power Window: Might try putting a bit of silicone lubricant spray into the felt channels to see if that helps it out some. Lots of times you think the motor is becoming weak, when it is just a problem with friction.

Again if it is the dealer, I would take it for another opinion elsewhere. They benefit twice from your visit. Once if you get it fixed, again if you are fed up with it and buy another vehicle, and then if so trade in your "problem child" for them to resell as it sits...

Rob, I just crossed 60K and (knock wood) the only issues so far on my 2008 have been a replaced headlight switch, drivers seat leather cover and rattling rear brake calipers. Guess I've been lucky! Even if you decide on that F-150, just remember your family here and stay in touch. Bob