more septic questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
I will be asking this to a septic installation company eventually, but figured I'd see what you guys say. The land we just bought has a gentle slope toward the street. When I have my septic installed, does it have to be downhill, i.e., in my future front yard? Or can it be uphill, where the backyard will be?

My father is an engineer and one of his more memorable sayings was, "Turds don't roll uphill"

I'm sure they could put it in the backyard, but it would need to be buried deeper to accomodate the necessary downward angle from the house.

Definitly down hill. My dads contractor screwed up his. His land wasnt level either. He had to go back and install a seperate pump sump.

You *can* have it up slope but it would require a pump to pump the effluent up into the D box and then it would gravity feed into the leech field from there. I would suspect it would be cheaper to have the whole system installed down slope.

What are the local codes....

Most places wan them installed in the Front yards......

The influent pipe elevation from the house will dictate how deep the rest of the system goes..

you probably will have the box and 2 leaching pools.....

The influent pipe into the box is at the top of the box and then the effluent pipe comes out at the designed invert.

NOW that pipe must have a min of a 2% pitch into the leaching rings....

The influent of the rings elevation is LOWER then the effluent of the box. Then the pools have to be deep enough for the calculated flow, storage, peculation ECT...

The pools could go dam near 20 feet down + depending on the application.

Also is it code to have the covers below grade, at grade, down 6 feet, ect....

Todd Z

Mine was done in a "cascade" manner. From the septic tank it went to a leach field across the back yard, then dropped a bit and went back across the yard again, then dropped a bit adn went back across, etc. Seems like I had about 6 levels of leaching pipes each about 100 feet long cascading down the slope of my back yard.

Just had a septic tank put in last week, MAKE SURE you go to your city hall and found out about a soil inspection so you can get a permit. do that first before you call the septic companies. Concrete septic, couple hundred feet of line, and inpection a total of about $4k and that was from a relative :banana: its expensive.

Where is your drinking water well? Hopefully put the septic system downhill of your well! Could make the decision easy!:rolleyes::eek:

Last edited by a moderator: