More Torque!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gibson single exhaust. Most freer-flowing exhaust mods, like headers and duals, actually hurt low-end torque.

Chip from Wayne may help somewhat.

4.56 gears, somewhat pricey.

EE supercharger, really really pricey.

I can guarantee you that nothing will increase torque more than the EE supercharger...well, other than stuffing a big block V8 under the hood. ;)

Exhaust systems and reprogramming the PCM computer can add a bit more torque and can move the torque curve up or down the RPM scale. However, major increases in torque require replacing internal engine parts like cams, higher compression, etc or expensive bolt on external parts like superchargers, nitrous, etc. Nitrous injection is probably about the cheapest at about $500.

...Rich

Smaller rear tires is the easiest. I mean smaller as in lower, not narrower. Smaller rear tires increase the effective gear ratio, giving more "push" from the tires for the same "twist" from the engine. It hurts gas mileage and makes your speedometer read high, though. Might look funny, too. But it's easy to change back if you have an extra set of tires, and only need the extra torque for a special situation like pulling a boat.

dreman,

Tire size does not increase torque it just changes the gear ratio which makes the torque more effective at specific RPM.

...Rich

That is what Dreman wrote.

Smaller rear tires increase the effective gear ratio, giving more "push" from the tires for the same "twist" from the engine.

Tom

And also,

If you do this on an ABS equipped vehicle, or one with 4 wheel drive,

you will throw the ABS sensors off, causing your ABS to pulse constantly

(and also set an ABS code) when braking, or tear up an axle or transfer case

on a 4x4 if you only change the tire size on the rear.:unsure:

Something like changing the size of the tires should only be done with all 4 wheels, not just the back wheels.

On a 4x4, it will destroy the transfer case or if you are lucky, you will break drive shafts.

Tom

tracn'-

Where do you get your info about different sized tires front to rear will throw off the ABS sensors? I've ran different sized tires front to rear for at least year and a half with no problems. My tires now are a lot closer to size then what I used to run.

Tiger,

Four years of Automotive College,and a two year apprenticeship, thats where!

(Michigan Master Certified Mechanic, Lisc.# M-154011, NIASE Master Certified

Mechanic, Lisc.#A-2708543236).

The ABS system is designed to work off of inputs from the front and rear

ABS Sensor Rings, or Tone Rings. There is a pre-set paramater in the factory

computer which takes into account the tire size, axle ratio and other factors

such as wheel slippage, such as on a dirt road or snowy conditions, and send this

input back to the computer. The computer then makes a descision, based on the

factory ROM (Read Only Memory) as to whether one wheel or axle is slipping

or not, and then instructs the ABS Modulator/Controller under the hood, to

pulse the brakes to prevent wheel lock-up, thereby preventing possible loss

of control of the vehicle. If you have different tire/wheel sizes front to rear,

the computer senses this as one or both wheels, or an axle, is slipping, and will,

by default, pulse the ABS to that wheel or axle set, to control, what it detects, as

wheel slippage, and/ or potential lock-up. This system is also designed to work in

conjunction with a Traction Control System, if your vehicle has one. If you

have a very slight difference in the overall diameter of your front and rear wheels,

or tires, you may never notice this.

Just trying to help!!!:)

I used to run a 205/55R15 front tire, and a 235/70R15 rear tire, overall the front tires were about 2" shorter then the rears. Never had any ABS problems, not even in panic stops. No pulsating, no locking up, nothing other then stopping when called upon. Currently I have a 215/45R17 front tire and 235/45R17 rear tire, not a huge difference, but still no problems.

Tom.

pimpedoutst wanted to know how to increase torque. Changing tire size does not change torque

tracnblack,

Tiger is correct that tire size will not usually effect your ABS system. The typical ABS system is only looking for a wheel that has stopped turning as an indication of a skidding tire. So any tire, regardless of size that is still turning would not be detected by the ABS as a skidding tire and would not cause the ABS to be fooled. There would have to be a ridiculous size difference before the ABS would be fooled. I do agree that changing tire sizes can have effects on braking in general but they are not ABS related.

On some GM vehicles the ABS system/sensors are used as part of the traction control system, stability control system, and even low tire pressure detector. These systems detect and alter variations in rotational speeds of the wheels and different sized tires can cause problem with these features.

...Rich