Morning start always want to stall

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron schneider

Reaction score
Every morning my st 01 job 1 does not want to stay on, it idols rough then stalls out unless I hold the gas down for about 2-3 minutes then it does not stall. My engine light came on but up hear in Quebec there is no Advance auto store to check out the codes and I really do not want to pay 60$ just to find out it is something common.

Any help would be appeciated.

Thanks

Maybe a dirty IAC valve. Possibly a bad coolant temperature sensor? The link below should show you a fairly cheap code reader. I have one and it works. It only shows codes though, no sensor values.

Same thing happened to my 2001 ST a couple of weeks ago. It was a vacuum leak at the engine manifold.

Good news was that because this was a defect, Ford extended their warranty to something like 70k miles and maybe 6 year? So it was repaired free for me, and that completely solved the cold stalling / rough idle problem.

The Ford Service Bulletin says that if you come in complaining about a rough idle and if you ask for this repair, Ford will pay for it, unless you've exceeded the mileage or years.

So I'd recommend trying that. Maybe that will fix the problem for you at no cost.

There's also a timing chain tensioner that's included in the same bulletin. If you complain about a rough idle and specifically ask to have that item replaced, they'll do that free too.