Most Recommended Upgrades

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an '04 XLT Premium with 32K. My tires are about gone and severely cupped, so I am going to buy new tires this week and have been reading a lot about tire and handling opinions...I am a fairly aggressive driver but never go off-road and since I live in Orlando the only weather challenge is heavy rain. I'm considering Yokohama Geolander HT-S and BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A as they seem to have pretty good track records and aren't too expensive. But as far as handling upgrades other than tires, I would like some experienced opinions on other specific things I really should upgrade/replace to improve handling and safety for a highway-only driver who goes through a lot of rainy days and does sometimes go a little too fast ;)

THANKS!

Shocks, shocks and shocks. The OEM ones are pretty much crap from the lot. Some will say also get a EE (Explorer Express, site sponsor) rear swaybar also. I didn't but most here will recommend it.;)

Either one of your tire choices are good for street. Shocks, Rancho rsx or monroe reflex or monroe sensatracs are a litle softer. Rear EE sway bar. Then you will have a very stable street ride...

Another strong vote for the shocks. I don't think the OEMs are crap but they are very soft to make the ride cushy. However, I grew weary of the side to side rolling that were happening at even the slightest turns. I can only imagine how much trouble I would've been on those few emergency maneuvers I've had to make on the freeway if I didn't have the stiffer Monroe Reflexes. They have been very good to me and I'm often complemented by passengers of how smooth the ride is.

My other vote is for the EE swaybar which further improves stability. Relatively cheap and definitely works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put 4 BF Goodrich LongTrails and new Monroe SensaTrac shocks this past Tuesday. Have been driving around just to see if I notice a difference in the "action" and the answer yes! My Goodyear were cupping (for the second time) and they simply had to go!

KCsporttracin,
Where can I find a 4x4 Sway bar? I have looked and can't find one..But don't want to spend alot??
You can find a Front 4x4 bar through Coastiejoe a site member who's family owns an auto recycling business, and can do a nationwide search. I got mine from a local Ford parts dept. The one I got is about an 1/8" thicker.

Latest posts