Motor-vac service?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben beethe

Reaction score
I have 80,000 on my ST. I want to get my ST's injectors cleaned w/the motor-vac system. Do all Ford dealerships have these? Just wondering since I am in Omaha NE and looking to get it done.

Most of the injector services are a waste of money.. If the injectors and truck are working fine, there is no problem...

The things that could be cleaned are the throttle body, intake, Maf meter and IAC motor...

Todd Z

I agree with Todd, I had my injectors cleaned before I replaced my air intake (too make sure I obtain the best results).... and no differences at all. 90$ wasted! And it was at PepBoys. I don't see why you would need Ford to do it. It would probably be 250$..

I beg to differ. I am a 3 year tech in training. I had 65,000 on my Focus before I did a Motor-Vac on it. When I was done, I restored hp and gained gass mileage. I also didn't think it would do much. It is worth doing it. It also keeps your filter in the injectors clean. Those who think that the bottle of "Injector Cleaner" from the parts store does what it says, think again. I have done some tests using products for restoring hp. All that cleaner does is, it knocks some of the carbon build up on the pistons and valves off. It restores some hp. But a good way to do it is a Motor-Vac. And taking out the injectors and cleaning them serves no purpose. The Motor-Vac sends pulses to the injectors, knocking all the "dirt" free, and the dirt goes and gets filtered out in the tank. That is what I have found.

I am certain that the difference is measurable, but from my experience and mesured from seat of the pants, it was not worth 90$. Maybe they were just not that dirty after all. It certainly didn't hurt to do it, but I felt that I could have spent my money somewhere else.

First off, how many miles, what stage of gas, what kind of driving, and daily-driver vs weekend-driver all play a part in when you need it done. And for the most part $90 is not a bad price to pay. Around by me, they are about $145. But what I don't get is why they charge so much. The bottle to do the cleaning is $8. All they have to do is match the lines, hit the start button and walk away. About 1 hour later, the car is done. But if can catch the right guy, you will get it done for cheap. I did my Focus, my ST, and my parents Explorer. All for about $28. Maybe if some of you were close to me, I could help out.