Motorcycle/Bicycle Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan D

Reaction score
I just bought an 03 ST in black a few days ago. Well my wife acutally bought it for me as I am still deployed to Iraq. I have a couple question regarding hauling a motorcycle or bike around.

Does an average size dirtbike fit into the bed? I am looking at getting a KTM 300 or something similar and am curious as to if it will fit, do I need the bed extender, ect.

My wife and I are avid mountain bikers and are getting ready to purchase a new round of bikes. What kind of bike rack/mounting system is recommended? Do I also need the bed extender in order to haul these around?

Thanks for the help.

Hey Ryan,

First off, thank you for your service to our country. Stay safe out there. I can't help you with the dirt bike info. However, I do a little mountain biking. I have the Yakima roof rack system. It includes the Lowrider Towers which mount to the roof rails, cross bars, and then the bike attachment. (I have the Yakima Viper) It works great for carrying my bike. With multipe viper attachments, I would bet you coult fit 3 or 4 bikes on the roof. There is another bike attachment that Ford makes. It mounts in the bed close to the cab, and the back tires rest on the lowered tailgate. Then the cargo cage wraps around that. I don't think you need the cargo cage for mountain biking or dirtbiking as tying it down should suffice. I have seen pics of STs with dirt bikes in them, shouldn't be a problem. Sorry I can't supply any pics. I don't have any on the PC right now. I know there are members that all kinds of variations. Hope it helps.

Tommy

Almost every dirt bike out there will fit in the bed. You do not NEED the extender but I do highly recommend it. It is a nice feature to have as well as adds an extra wall of security as far as the bike, or whatever, wanting to come out the back of the Trac. If you have the extender you will find that you use it for many things.

When closed it acts like a bed divider. So if your getting groceries you can stack up against it and things stay in place.

The other item I suggest as a MUST have is the bed mat. It is cheap and worth every penny. Things stay where you put them if you have the mat instead of slide around on the hard plastic bed.

My Honda Rebel fit nicely angled in the bed, strapped in, with the rear tire resting against the bed extender. Peace of mind for the 100 mile trip home.

Hope this helps.

Chad W.

Any size dirt bike will fit. Here is a pic of how I cut a portion of my bed extender so I can roll the bike into the bed, with the extender in place.Bike goes on the right side, and gear bag and everything goes on the left side.[Broken External Image]:

I used to put my RMX 250 in the bed but bought a bike carrier for the hitch. Best thing I've ever done. I can have the bike loaded and strapped down quicker than I used to when putting the bike in the back. I bought the carrier from atvexpress.com, the only thing that bothers me is the way the backed sags now and it get close to hitting the driveway apron when leaving and entering.

Thanks for serving and good luck with the bike and the ST.

Marc

Thanks for all the replies. Does the bed extender come off easily? I am also thinking about getting an Advance Cover for it as well. Does anyone have any experience with this cover? Does it detach easily? Thanks again for the help.

Yes, the bed extender comes off easily. Just one clip on each side. Also it flips into the bed, so when you don't need it you can either do that or take it off.

Two mountain bikes fit in the bed easily [diagonally]. It's lots easier though to get a hitch mounted carrier which then leaves the bed free for other stuff.

OR....

you could do an above-bed rack solution that leaves the bed free for gear/luggage and keeps the bikes off the hitch-mounted rack and away from tailgaters.

I spent 3 days last weekend up in the mountains with 5 friends, 5 mtn bikes and all our gear with no storage problems. I do have a roof rack, but I use that only for surfboards because I can't lift a mtn bike that high.

[Broken External Image]:

This now has 5 trays on it for 5 bikes and room for one more. In my opinion, as an avid rider myself, this is the best mod I've done to the trac.

-Heather in OC