MPG Claims Confusion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Garber

Reaction score
I don't want to beat a dead horse here about the MPGs, but I am in the market for a Sport Trac and I am a little confused. To be specific I am looking at a 07-09 Sport Trac V8 4x4. I currently have a 2003 Crew cab Sonoma ZR5 with the 4.3L V6, and average about 17 - 18 with 130,000 miles on the odometer. So I am not looking for anything to great just no worse than I currently get. I have been reading through the previous forums about the subject, and I am just curious how there is such a huge difference in the mileage people are getting. I hear averages ranging anywhere from 12 - 20. I know driving behavior has a lot to do with it, but can it really account for that large of a swing, or are people just exaggerating? Thank you for any input.

it sure can, someone who accelerates fast (over 3000 rpms) etc.,rather than someone who keeps the rpms under 2500 can have a hugh effect on mpg, going 60 instead of 50 does the same, there are numerous articles on driving behavior and how it affects mpgs.

Well, my experience has been nothing but great.

I average 15.7 around town - 90% of my driving and anywhere from 20 - 24 on the highway - greatly depending on my speed.

Also, I occasionally tow around 5,000 pounds when I go camping. It's 90% highway towing at 70-75mph and I get a VERY CONSISTENT 14mpg. I find the faster towing keeps the transmission from hopping gears.

I've have the truck for just over a year now (27K miles) and the only mod I've done that would relate to mileage is a Throttle Body from Zabtek.

I have been nothing but happy with the mileage of my V8.

Oh yea, I drive it real smooth - no fast starts and try to keep at the speed limit. When I do punch it, it shows on the gas gauge.

Phil,

Personally I think those that claim to get above 17mpg, regularly, with their ST are either exaggerating, or they live and work right next to exits of a highway and all their driving is highway mileage.

I drove mostly "city" style and was hard pressed to get 15mpg on my ST. That seems to be what you should expect, IMHO.

It sounds like you will be taking a step down, mpg-wise from the Sonoma, if you go with an ST.

TJR

I have to admit that most of my driving is highway, but I regularly get 400 miles to a tank of gas, or right around 20 mpg. Mine is a 2003, so it's the v6, but the new v8's don't do that badly.

My wife's Dodge Ram will get 15-16 with her driving. If I start driving it, the numbers immediately start going up. I can get 17 in town and 20 on the highway in the Ram. She used to get 16-17 out of the Sport Trac when it was her truck, but I get much better mileage with it, even at it's current 170,000 miles.

In my every day driving, which is mixed city/highway, I average between 16-18 MPG, depending on how heavy my foot is.

On long road trips, I can achieve over 20 MPG. On the road to the Louisville meet last summer, I averaged 21 MPG with three people in the Trac, running the A/C the whole way, and a bed full of luggage and other stuff.

That was before getting new tunes from Torrie. I haven't yet taken a long road trip since purchasing custom tunes from him.

Thank you for everyone's input. I just started working for Ford a little over a year ago, and its about time to make the change. I just can't do without a pick up. I don't do any work that would require a F150, but I do tow jet ski's, our boat, and often load up the bed and head to the lake. Plus living in Michigan 4x4 comes in very handy. I was hoping that I was going to be able to be driving the new F100 they were talking about over the summer, but I read on autoblog that project has been postponed.

I have an 08 v6 4x2 and get 15.2 all in town...the mpg display says I get 16.5...yeah right. On a freeway trip i have never gotten any better that 19.8 witht he cruise set at 70. the v6 trac and the v8 trac don't really have any difference in mpg if driven normally IMO.

I'm hoping one of my next mods will greatly enhance my MPG: A ScanGage II. Real-time MPG feedback should greatly influence one's driving habits, hopefully resulting in improved MPG.:D

I average 21 or a bit better when I drive my 07 V6 2wd to work on a daily basis, have gotten 25mpg on the interstate at 65mph according to the on board mpg, but its about .5 high, but can't really complain with this heavy of a vehicle.