MPG & gauge ?(New owner)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian T

Reaction score
I'm on my first full tank of gas on an 01 ST. I have about 115 miles on this tank and the gauge is showing just under 1/2 tank. Seems like it's not right but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure that it was full after hearing about somthing wrong with older models that cause the pump to shut of early. After only 7 miles it showed just under full. I know the gauge will fluctuate a lot but I read the gauge when leaving my garage in the morning. Normal? Thanks

hmmm with my 03 i normally get to 60 miles before the needle even moves... but typically i get 325-350 miles per tank. is ur tank stock? do u have a heavy foot? etc...

As far as I know it's a stock tank and I don't have a heavy foot. I travel from home to daycare (6 miles) shut the truck off. Drive to work (4 miles) shut it off and do it again the next day. It seems I'm getting about 10mpg. :angry:

The 01 does have a smaller gas tank,, Maybe it was not filled all the way....

Todd Z

Todd, The manual states I have the 20.5 gal tank. Is that incorrect? My old 01 Ranger had a 17 gal tank.

Brian, yes that is, the 02 and up have a larger tank....

Todd Z

On my 03' ST i had the same problem after i bought it. I took it to ford and my slosh module was incorrect. So they replaced it. but other than that i can go for about 45 miles till it finally moves. but after that it goes quick. i get about 270 miles to a tank. but on the highway from buford, ga to statesboro, ga i got exactly 400 miles. which is good. like i said check the slosh module.....

I average 18.5 MPG mixed driving on my 4x4. Usually fill up at 320 miles and it is just barely past 1/4 tank. Try doing a "tune-up". (plugs, fuel filter, wires, etc.) Reset the CPU, and see if it helps.;)

yeah i plan on doing a full tune up and seafoam treatment next weekend. i just bought my ST a few weeks ago and it has a bit of a rough idle as well. im hoping it will go away and the mpg will come back up then.

I have the 2WD with 4.10 ratio. I talked with my sales guy at Ford and he said they'd take a look at it when I get the hitch installed this weekend. Thanks for all the inputs. I'll follow up. By the way, the ST runs great! Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
If pump shuts off you are not completely full. It can/will take another 4 to 5 gals. I have actually put in over 23gals at different time. If you have filled the tank it will not move off full until around 100 miles. I filled up today took 20.510 to fill (384.2 miles). The last four or five gallons will take time because of the venting problem. 145,000 miles on my 01.

The gas tanks are long and have very poor baffling so any incline front or rear will effect how the fuel gauge accuracy. Also, the 2001-2002 models are notorious for not filling completely unless you trickle the gas in very slowly, then you can actually put in 2-3 gallons more than the tank is supposed to hold. I have put in 23 gallons in my 2001's 20.5 gallon tank :huh:

Also, don't use the fuel gauge to calculate MPG, it's way to inaccurate. The only practical and accurate way to check your MPG is to fill the tank slowly until you can see the gas at the restrictor plate in the filler neck. Now drive the vehicle for at least 50 miles or more (the more you driver the more accurate your calculation will be). Return to the same gas pump to eliminate differences in pumps and refill the tank back up to the restrictor plate. Divide the miles driven by the fuel used, and down round the miles up or down, (use the tens) and use the gallons of fuel used to refill to the hundredths or thousands of a gallon, (however many deicimal places the pump displays).

I don't recommend overfilling the tank on a regular basis, but occasionally to get a real accurate, one tank MPG reading, it's OK.

...Rich

2005 Trac with the 3.72 axle:

20-22.5 m.p.g., depending on driving habits and seasonal fuel blends.

Normal driving most of the time. About 385 to 425 miles per tank, again

depending on the above conditions.

I fill up usually at the same station, pump, etc... till I hear the fuel coming up

the filler neck, reset the trip odometer to 0, drive till I fill up again the same way,

then divide the number of miles driven by the gallons, rounding up or down to

the nearest gallon and mile. This has always been accurate for me on all of my

vehicles. ;)

Don't believe the gas guage! My '01 would come off full almost as soon as I drove out of the station. MY '05 will go about 100 miles before the guage moves. The '01 got 15-16 around town and 20-21 on the highway, my '05 gets 16+ town and 19.5-20 hwy.

My 05 has to have about 75 or 80 miles before it moves off of Full. It has a 22.5 gallon tank, but by the time it shows 1/2 tank, I can usually put 13-15 gallons in. Annoying, but I buy gas about twice a week, every 250 miles or so, I figured it was a good habit to keep the tank above half in case I ever have to make a trip on short notice.

Judd,

Your way also helps keep excess moisture out of the tank and lines.

This is what I do in the winter and the really humid months of summer!;)

I have an 04 4x4 and my biggest complaint is when the low light comes on (which is rare) I only have about 1 gallon left. In once instance when the light came on and I filled up and I had only a half a gallon of fuel. My rangers always had 3 to 4 gallons to spare when the light came on. I also have the same issue as Judd. When my guage reads 1/2 tank, I can put in 13 to 15 gallons. Should I call the dealer while I am still under warrantee?