MPG

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Barcomb

Reaction score
I have an 03 sport trac with bout 55,000 miles on it and have had slow decline in my mpg im averaging bout 10 mpg. Open to any suggestions.

Most of it is driving habits. Long warm up time, fast take offs, speeding, all affect the St's MPG...

I know that every ST i see driving here Is allways speeding, and taking off from light really fast... That puts the MPG in the toilet...

IF thats not the case, Tune up time, Plugs, wires, filters

Todd Z

This is just a shot in the dark answer...but I have seen many cars improve milage when O2 sensors were replaced at 50 to 60k miles...they can send out a bad signal even though they are not bad and dont set off the CEL...

I had an '88 5.0 T-Bird...I replaced them at 62k and my hwy mpg, went up 3mpg...I was not getting any error codes...sometimes its a guessing game when you dont get any codes....

Can you just buy new O2 sensors and put them in yourself? And how can you tell if they are bad?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am too getting bad gas mileage. I have 80,000 on my 02 ST. Never had a tune up done.

I too would like to know if an O2 sensor is easy to change.

Also, I would like to change the plugs and wires and fuel filter myself. What else should I do for a tune up?

Also, any other hints would be great.

try new plugs if you have not done them yet.... mine at 63k were worn so bad the gap was twice what it should have been. As for the O2 sensors, they are not real hard to change.....