Mud terrains and wet roads

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kerr

Reaction score
When stopping on wet roads are do mud terrain tires grips better or worse then regular street radials? What about all terrains?

Street radials should always stop better than mud terrain. More tread and more water routing than blocky mud terrain tires that are designed to grip soft, mushy soil for traction. And all terrains will stop better than mud, and not much worse than street tires.

UNLESS your asking about slicks. Those cannot be driven in rain! (unless they are rain slicks)

since the mud tires have large nob's for digging into things and most mud tires can be of a harder compound. This would be less surface area and the will not grip as well..

All terrains are mainly the way to go....

all depends what your doing with the truck and what is is designed for..

Todd Z

Someone told me that MTs would be better but since it seemed to me that having less rubber on the road the opposite would be true and it seems I am right. I intend on taking my truck through some mud every so often but nothing too hardcore. I also drive my family (young kids) in my ST and I want to be able to stop in the rain while driving on the street. The truck already has a tendency to loose grip and slide enough as it is and I have street radials on it now.

whose tires ?? good year OEMS ??? they stink......

also what size ?? the 235 or 255 ?? or something else ??

Todd Z

The ones in the front are two different tires, ones a michelin and the other is an enduro runway. Also I noticed that when the trucks slips it doesnt slip evenly, I start to twist. Man I need to change all these tires on this truck, the sooner the better.

I have ran 2 sets of Goodyear MTR's and now my new BFG KM2's. Both of these tires do great in the rain, because they have sipping in the tread. Alot of other MT's do not offer sipping and they will not do so well in the rain.

I ran Bridgestone dueler APT III's for 2 years and put on 40k miles and they worked great for on and offroad use. Now I'm running BFG All Terain's and they're pretty good so far.

:banana:

Latest posts