My 2001 ST Is FINALLY Fixed!! AKA- Help!! Changed parts and not fixed!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ava Francis

Reaction score
Hi All,

My 2001 Sport Trac is fixed!! I wanted to post what happened because all of you were very considerate of my problem. Reluctantly, I called a former guy I dated who was, and still is, very into cars. He just bought a 198? Ford Mustang convertible from a mechanic in NH. He told me to take it to him because he's known as the “Ford Guy”. He works with high performance Fords and races them. This mechanic was great! He drove my truck and couldn't believe how I was still driving it. ( I became very good using two feet)

My invoice states:

MAF specs out of range, unplugged and test drove and car performed better, replace MAF and test drove again, car runs much better but has a misfire under load. Pulled spark plugs and found platinum plugs and one of them has a crack in it. Replaced plugs with standard copper plugs.
(He hates platinum plugs).

He also told me that he did try to spray some stuff on the MAF because most times it's just clogged...not it my case. Ford had the part in stock and he felt that because it was in stock it's a common problem for them but Ford won't recognize it to the public.

The cost of the MAF was $244.00. And, this was my 3rd set of spark plugs...only this time the cost was $20.64. So I spent a total of $1,061.92 on my truck which $500.00 being unnecessary. (the 3 O2 sensors and the 2nd set of spark plugs). Oh well, you live you learn...I guess:(

I just wanted to Thank all of you for helping me out and maybe if anyone ever has the same problem as I had, have the MAF checked!

Thanks again!!:D

Ava - sorry it took so long for you to finally get it right. It also sounds like you now have found a mechanic for the future . . .

Sorry to hear you got ripped off by the first repair shop. Obviously they did not diagnose the problem correctly and perhaps never really made any attempt.

You should have taken the vehicle back after the first guy did not fix the problem and demand a refund!! If you paid with a credit card you may still have some means to get a refund.

It's important that when a mechnic tells you that your vehicle needs a part, that they understand that you will not pay for parts that do not fix the problem, and if your vehicle is not running right when you pick it up, you will refuse to pay for replacement parts that where just his guesses. There are proper ways to diagnose problems and isolate the failing part. If done correctly, by a qualified mechanic, with the proper test equipment, you will get you vehicle back fixed and only the parts that needed replacing will be replaced.

...Rich

Scott...I finally did find an HONEST mechanci!

Rich, I paid by check and he cashed it. I'll take your advice and in the future I will pay by credit card.

Thanks!

Ava,

Read this linked post on how to clean your MAFS:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1119445&sitename=mysporttrac

p.s. I do not see how you MAFS can get clogged because there is nothing to get clogged. The two (2) wires in the MAFS can get dirty, and therefore give incorrect information to the engine computer (PCM). Cleaning it monthly, or more often if you have an oiled aftermarket air filter, is a good thing. Cleaning the MAFS will also help prevent tranny problems as in a previous post.

I would take copies of the reciepts and a written repair from the 2cnd mech to the first one. Threaten him with the BBB, small claims and the media if you have to. $500 and he didnt fix the problem, sux..:wacko:

You dont belong in bussiness if thats the way you do things..

Glad that you finally got the problem fixed. While I don't agree with the way your mechanic went about finding the problem because the way he diagnosed it could have very well bitten him in the butt, the important thing is that he got it fixed. Good luck on future reapirs...hopefully you won't have to have any

Latest posts