My A/C has a mind of its own.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE !!! It appears the problem has been located and resolved, with just a four hundredth of an inch. He mic'ed the spacer washer(s) for the copressor clutch and voila! Just completed a three and a half hour trip, with a few stops and the old girls is blowing like a two dollar.........

So you reduced the gap by 40 thousandths? what was the gap before and what is the gap now?
Was the vehicle on a lift to get access to dismantle the clutch?
Thanks for the update. I hope that was the problem.

So you reduced the gap by 40 thousandths? what was the gap before and what is the gap now?
Was the vehicle on a lift to get access to dismantle the clutch?
Thanks for the update. I hope that was the problem.

I can't remember the tolerances. But you access the compressor's clutch on 1st gen from the top, so no lift is required. In fact, come to think about it, it'd be a real pain in the ass to get to the compressor clutch from the bottom.

Just behind the clutch, between the clutch pulley and the clutch itself, there different sized spacers (kind of like washers, but not really, more like shims) you can insert.

Last edited:
I did not do this myself. A local shop did the repairs. Not sure how many washers were behind the clutch but he mic'ed them and replaced one with one that was .04" thinner. Still working as of last night. BTW mine is first gen. so the compressor was at the top. No lift needed.

My A/C works in the morning when I start the vehicle, and seems to continue to work. Then I turn off the vehicle, and it may or may not still work, or stop. Then eventually it will start working again usually. and so forth.
I do not see any pattern to the failures. Does the ST throw a code when the A/C stops?
I am seeing that there is a component YG360 Vacuum Control Valve which might be the cause of my A/C issues. Anyone help me to locate it? I can at least inspect it and the lines to it.
Best

^ Motorcraft YG-360 vacuum control valve is NOT used on 2001-05.

Honestly, if it cools sometimes, and not others, I think that's a refrigerant issue. Mine's freezing my face of 90% of the time, but I do feel a spot every now and then that isn't as face-freezing as others. I really thing I'm a pound or so low on my refrigerant. What else could it be, if it cools massively the other 90% of the time?

I think it just doesn't have the refrigerant running through the compressor about 10% of the time. I think if I buy one of those $30 cans, add a little bit, it should take care of things (and I have a second car, same make and model, should attach and work there too.) I think one can will take care of both cars needing a little 'umph' after 15 years.

My fix, I had trouble getting the clutch off so I sprayed some penetrating oil in the bolt hole too times. Two weeks now and it is still working.

I didn't think to try WD40 on it, and usually I try to fix everything with either WD40 or duct tape (LOL)
The clutch would not suck in by turning the ignition key which was the tip on a YouTube video.
I held the clutch disk with some extra large waterpump pliers, and loosened the 8mm nut with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet.
I'm saving the .040 shim just in case the A/C clutch won't release. But I am pretty sure removing the shim was the way to go. When the master mechanic at my shop heard the symptoms, he said without hesitation the shim was it.
I hope we both can chill out now.

Even with lubricating the compressor shaft the clutch still won't engage and I can't get the clutch off. The old York compressors had a bolt to screw in once the front bolt was removed, this would screw the clutch off! Do our compressors have a gizmo like this and does anyone know what size it would be? I can't see down there.
Thanks God bless Ed

There is a hex nut which holds the clutch plate. I had tp use some large water pump pliers on the outside of the clutch plate while loosening the nut. Plate pulled off and there was a spacer in there which removed, then reassembled to see if the clutch engaged and released. It did and the A/C has been working flawlessly.

I have a hex bolt to hold the clutch plate on. When that comes out the clutch plate will only move out 1.5 inches. I am afraid to pry it with anything.

My fix, I had trouble getting the clutch off so I sprayed some penetrating oil in the bolt hole too times. Two weeks now and it is still working.
I also had this clutch problem...so I took your advice and sprayed on and around the back of clutch between it and the compressor....been working all the time since August 12th. Thanks for info!

Latest posts