My body bushing/mount questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney Leary

Reaction score
Starting to get the popping from my deteriorating body mounts under the floor board. I have spent most of the morning pouring over old threads and member projects to familiarize myself with my options. Looking at the diagram, it looks like there are 16 total if i was to replace them all, 4 spots on each side with an upper and lower at each spot.

1. I can replace the body mounts with rubber ones and worry about it deteriorating again years down the road.

2. I can try to find poly bushings, which will be stiffer, but hold up better.

3. I can find a lift kit, which may have the bushings I need, but then I have to consider bigger tire/new rims. Which is out of my budget right now.

Im hoping someone can point me to a complete set of rubber or poly bushings online?

FYI; I found an amazing write up on the whole issue here:

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/183

I too would love to put poly busnings on my ST, but I have found that no one out there makes "poly" bushings for the Gen 1 ST except one company that makes them for a 3" body lift. I do know that the Gen 1 ST uses a Ranger frame that is about 15" longer, but whether the ES bushings for the Ranger will fit is just a guess. I am pretty sure that the ES control arm bushings for the '98 - '01 Explorer will work though.

IF you get the specs on the OEM ones, Even if you have to buy one, May be able to get ones that match in poly....

BUT i personally would never use poly on a daily driver,,, the harsh ride would kill other things and add extra stress to the body.....

Todd Z

Thank you for the suggestion Todd. Can you help me out with a link the bushings you suggest be used? I'd like to find someone selling the whole package but will buy one at a time if needed.

My problem is I can't find the body mount bushings anywhere that specifically say they will work on my 01. Can anyone please share a link of some that will def work with this truck?

Hate to bump... but I think I'm going to buy the Energy Suspension part number 9.4102. Details says it includes two sets of the body mount bushings (universal). They are poly but consider the "softer" poly for everyday driving.

Plus it's a good price at around $110 for four of them (should be 8 sets). Im waiting on an email back to confirm it's two sets in each.

Rodney,

Only source I have is our site sponsor or a ford dealer.....

BUT if the universals work, Take accurate measurements with a caliper, inside dia, outside dia, thickness, and all sorts of pictures, you may help a lot of people here out !!!!

Todd Z

Rodney,

Ditto on what Todd said. If you find a substitute. Maybe Todd can post it in the FAQ section. Mine have maybe 1yr before I need them.

Thanks

Will do. Maybe it will be my first approved project!

I tried to find them through the site sponsor section but had no luck... maybe I was looking in the wrong places.

Rodney,

Ford parts.... Same guy as unleashed tuning....

Simply email Torrie.... he is a great guy !!

Todd Z

The "universal" poly bushings are not as thick as the OEM ones. Wouldnt be a big deal but I cant get the front bolt off for anything to change them all. So Im stuck as this point, trying to find the centers locally now.

UPDATE:

I got the drivers side done. Which was the big deal right now as the one beneath the Driver floorboard as 90% eroded and causing a bad knock. Here is a basic write up. I started taking pictures at the beginning, back when I was young and naive... lmao. This by far was the most frustrating repair Ive ever done. I recommend that if you can afford it to pay a shop.

First, the front and back bushings are 100% intact on both sides. I think the center body bushings were made of a different material. When I set out to do this I considered replacing them all... in the end I only replaced the driver side center 2, which were bad. I will do the passenger side on another weekend, once Ive recovered and feel brave again.

I removed the step bars, the drivers seat, pulled back the carpet and bungeed up out of the way. Popped out the rubber caps to get access to the interior bolts. As expected from other write ups, the bolts just spun freely, not threading out. The bushing was so completely eroded I was able to get vise grips on the bottom metal part of the bushing to lock it in place. Then I used a heat gun to heat up the bolt and it came out with a lot of elbow grease. These bolts are in tight! I busted one small ratchet and had to go to buy a larger one and a breaker bar to get them to turn.

The rear bolt came out pretty easily. Because the bushing was intact it didn't spin like the others!

The front bolt never came out. I tried heat, and pb blaster, a ratchet gun, and multiple techniques with a regular ratchet and a breaker bar and I could not pop the bolt. So it stayed in, which made it impossible to jack the body all the way off the frame.

But I was able to use a 3.5 ton jack to jack up the body enough to get access to the center bushings, but due to the height of the metal housing, I could not get the body up high enough to remove them (again due to the front end still being bolted together). So after trying many techniques, I used a sawzall to cut through the metal skeleton of the bushing and it dropped right out.

So now I have both bushings fully out. I slide in the "universal" body mount set from energy suspension and realize that the top one is shorter than the oem, leaving a gap. I solved this by going to the hardware store and buying some very thick washers.

Once I made up the space difference with the thick washers, I slid in the new bolt and other matching hardware I had to buy myself. I lowered the body frame and tightened all the bolts. So far everything holds real well. No noises or groans and it rides much better than before.

So after all this, I have confirmed the soft universal poly body mount bushings from energy suspension WILL work on this truck. However it will require new hardware (bolts, washers, nuts, and lock washers). Also, pick up several thick washers to match the bolts if you need to make up any spacing problems.

My biggest tips to anyone trying this yourself.

1. If you can cut or pull away the deteriorating bottom bushing material, do so, and lock a pair of vise grips to the bottom metal housing of the bushing. Then apply heat to the center bolt (I used a heat gun). These two things allow me to finally get that bolt out.

2. Next jack up the body enough to get some clearance for the bad bushings, then lock on the vice grips on the metal again and cut through the bushing center with a sawzall (unless you have to reuse these for some reason, I just used all new bolts and nuts). It will save you tons of time.

Here are the few pics I did take.

These re the universal mounts. There are two full sets in each box, uppers and lowers, including few washers and the center metal tube.

[Broken External Image]:

Here is the bushing put together. Reminder, the top bushing is about 1/2" shorter than ford oem.

[Broken External Image]:

Here is the eroded bushing, I had to clear it all off to get the vice grips on the metal housing... which stops it from spinning.

[Broken External Image]:

So this is the factory bolt and the bottom housing for the bushing, you can see how the bolt threads in and why it spins freely when you try to remove the bolt. Like I said before, once I yanked all that eroded bushing off I could lock on some vise grips to hold the bottom and then the bolt can turn out.

[Broken External Image]:

This is where I stopped taking pics because of all the problems I had on the front bolt end having to cut the other busing out. I hope I described all my others steps well enough to help someone out in the future.

Also, I just dropped down and took pics of the final version. It may not be the ideal fix, as I i used a universal kit and had to jerry rig it some with thicker washers, but it's working great for me so far.

Here is three pics of the mounts with the universal bushings and the extra washers. All the washers fit the bolts so everything is tight and snug.

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you have me thinking that is the route that I need to go with replacing mine, only do all of them as my son is going to do that job for me; and he has close to 10 yrs. experience in the collision repair business and has all of the proper tools etc.

:banana:

The proper tools would have saved me a headache... a back ache, and a neck ache... lol

In the end, I think the heat and vice grips were my keys to getting the center bolts out and the sawzall was the key to remove the metal piece of the bushing under my feet. Knowing these things at the start would have saved me tons of time.

Latest posts