My Check Engine Light experience....Update !!..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun

Reaction score
Weds night the Check Engine Light came on while driving home from having dinner. Since ST seemed to be driving alright I just drove home. Next morning . CEL light still on .... I was low on gas , so I fill up and at lunch time I disconnected the battery to reset computer.....CEL gone ......Then Fri. evening while running errands it came back on. Took it to Pep Boys .....OBD came back with PO171-lean on bank 1......I told guy that my fellow MyST members said must likely be the Elbow Hose ....when right to it and sure enough... Big Crack in it !! He state that would be a dealer item , I told him a member got a radiator hose and cut it down to fit. $3.91 for hose. He said "That website just saved you a bunch of money ....Whatever you're paying to belong is well worth it. " I told him it was free ...just people who love our trucks and want to help other that feel the same.

OK back to subject ...Changed hose ...CEL still on. Decided to clean IAC .....disconnected battery in process ......CEL off.....will see after a couple cold starts I reckon.

Here's my question .....Do you guys think it was OK to replace hose with radiator hose ?? It seems like a snug fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I did. Didn't even have the CEL come one, but had the symptoms, checked it out, got cheapy hose from Autozone, and symptoms went away.

Cajun,

Check the gas cap...I had the same problem with a diffrent car and that was my problem. Make sure the cap is on secure. Pat:D

Cajun have you had the OBDII reset? I had to do this myself. If the code has not been reset it will continue to come on! Let me know if this helps. Riley

Three days and no CEL !! I think that did it !! I'm good to go !!

Chris , I just disconnected the the battery for 10 minutes and I think that resets computer.

Or do I need to go someplace to have it reset ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to this site I was able to fix this same problem as pictured above. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and bought: “CURVED RADIATOR HOSE” part number (A)70001CS. It fit perfectly with absolutely no modifications at all and cost less than $5.00. My Trac is running better than ever. Be sure to buy the part first as your Trac won’t run without it. This can be done without tools however I had to use a utility knife to cut away the old hose. Also, because I have big hands then I removed the dust cover to allow me a little more room to work . Still, the whole process took less than 10 minutes not including travel time to the parts store.

Anyone know the internal / external diameter of the replacement hose? That might help people that need to go buy it.

looks like 1/2" heater hose to me.

Latest posts