My first woes with my trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey Everhart

Reaction score
Man when the brake pads decide to wear out, they went out with style.

So about 3 weeks ago my brakes started grinding a little bit. Didnt have the money at time so I had to wait. Then about a week ago, I started hearing metal on metal. Well pay day was coming in about 2 days. I called around, was told they could be resurfaced. In a matter of 3 days, they just went to hell in a hand basket. Took it to midas yesterday, they quoted me around 300 to get everything done, resurfacing, new pads, labor, etc.

Well I get there, wait for them to come back and they pull me outisde. Show me the measurements on the rotors, and my front left is way below the discard level. I think .25 below it or something. I dont know what the measurements were exactly. Left brake pad was gone, the backing was gone and yo ucould see where the top lip was just getting torn apart. So went back inside, and they were blown away by how much it costs midas to get a rotor for an 01 sport trac. $150 a piece. Something needed to be done with the rear drums too. They quoted me $900 for the job.

Went home, freaked outa little bit. They made me sign a waiver of liability, and told me that if I didnt get it fixed in about 2 weeks the break pad would just fall out, and the piston would slip out too. Talked to my girlfriend, and she told me to call meineke. He told me to bring it there, that midas was liberal with their prices and what needs to be replaced. Promised me he would give me 15% discount, plus another 5% because he did a lot of custom exhaust for my girlfriend. So take it there, and he quotes me $450 for the entire job. His tech comes back in and they showm e the rear cylinders. Rear cylinders are leaking brake fluid.

Grand total for new front pads, rotors, and rear cylinders $720. Luckily I had the money. They were going to make me sign a liability waiver for the rear cylinders if I didnt get it fixed.

I hope this isnt a sign of things to come. I have on '01 with 56k miles on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaron,

I bet 100% you don't need 1/2 the stuff they say you do.

Sounds like they are taking you for a ride...

Sorry

Todd Z

When you pull the rear cylinder seal back is it supose to be dry underneath there? They showed me the brake pads, those were gone, I know they werent raping me on that. WIsh I knew someone who could do the work. Labor rates are what sucks. It was like $320 for the parts for everything, and the rest was labor and dumb little fees

Every seal weeps a little.... Technically they should be dry, but slight moisture is normal.. IF it is pissing all over the pads, and there is a clear sign that it is running down the backing plate, then it should be changed...

Todd Z

We have a '01 w/ 107k, and only replaced the front pads twice and haven't touched the rear drums. I agree w/ Todd. If you have the parts they took off, go get a several opinions on the parts including one from a Ford dealer service. Get the opinions in writing so that you can take them to the Calif. State agency that over sees automotive repair shops. You'll either get some of your money back or put them out of business.

That would have been a good time to invest $100.00 in a good shop manual, print out the brake project, and learned how to pay yourself by fixing the brakes on your own. The money you spent on that repair would have paid for a jack, jack stands, a good tool set, rotors, pads, shoes, wheel cylinder, and even a drum.

When the job was completed, your vehicle was fixed and you got new tools all paid for. Too bad you don't live near me. You would have learned how to do the brakes and it would not have costed you anything but the parts. The labor would have been free.

Tom

Aaron,

I don't know how long you have had your ST, the year or the mileage, but if the brakes are neglected it can get very very expensive. I am not trying to justify the prices you were quoted, but I think they wanted to scare you into more than you probably needed.

Better quality aftermarket Rotors and pads are available for a lot less than what Ford wants for a single new rotor. As Todd Z. stated, most seals will weep a little fluid. I have never had to rebuild or replace a wheel cylinder because a small amount of fluid weeped past the first inner seal. Unless they are wet with fluid, or the fluid starts to come out of the outer boot seals, they don't need to be replaced/rebuild. They did that so they can sell you a rear brake job, turning the drums and new shoes, and perhaps new springs and hardware. That is very typical of those places when they think they have a fish on the line.

And finally, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SIGN NOTHING. That only the fear-factor they are trying to make you feel like you will die if you attempt to move your vehicle. You drove it there, most likely you could drive it to any other repair shop and it would make it just fine. Even if your wheel cylinders completely blew out (which is very unlikely) you do have a dual braking system that separates the front brakes from the rear brakes so you would not loose all your brakes.

...Rich

Why are you ignoring the obvious question in favor of "I do my own work so I am great". His stuff wore out in 56,000 miles. Never should rears, let alone front wear that quickly unless: a) you are racing b) they were crap to start with c) something may be seriously wrong with his Trac.

Never should rears, let alone front wear that quickly unless: a) you are racing b) they were crap to start with c) something may be seriously wrong with his Trac.

D) He got the wool pulled over his eyes.

Brakes are a wear and tear item. 56,00 miles is not a short time for brakes and it is usually common to replace the pads at that mileage. The rears are a different story. Drum brakes do not stop as well as disk brakes do, therefore the rear brakes raise suspition that there was nothing wrong with the rear brakes in the first place.

Tom

Rear cylinders are leaking brake fluid.

I was told the same thing when my ST was under warranty, so I took it to the dealer and they found that it was not the cylinders, but the axle seals that needed replacement.

I dont see how this is a ST woe. This is a case of pure neglect for your vehicle. If you are going to let things get worse, and worse, and it ends up costing you a ton to get it fixed its more or less your problem, not anyone elses.

If the brakes were going bad, and you didnt have the money to fix them at the time, PARK IT. $20 in bus fair is a lot cheaper than $700-$900 brake job.

If you cant afford to maintain your vehicle, you shouldnt be driving one.

Latest posts