My gas mileage improvements

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Kolb

Reaction score
So this is my history of MPG up until now.

When I started tracking my long term mileage and other maintenance stuff I noticed I was getting a combined mileage of 18.3. This was just me driving as I normally do. Since then I needed tires so I put on Highway tires, BFG radial long trails, and I immediately noticed that my mileage jumped up to just over 19. I remembered that when I took my all terrains off my ranger I got better mileage too, and that when I kept the RPMs below 2k unless I was in fifth I also got better. So I started doing that with the ST, which makes me glad I have a manual transmission. Doing that I was getting 21.3 on combined driving. Last weekend I drove to Maine, from Southern NH, up through the white mountains. Uphill the entire way I got 25 mpg by not going over 60 on the entire trip. Coming home I logged about 250 miles before I did the calculation again, 150 of which was the trip to Maine, and that time I got 23.6. The moral of the story? Get highway tires, which are cheaper anyway, keep your speed down and you'll get better mileage.

I wish I could get anywhere near that. I tracked my gas mileage for 6 years with my '01 ST and am now up to a little over 2 years with my '07 v8 ST. A lot of stop and go driving in NYC though. I had the recalled Firestones (good tires actually) on the '01 when I bought it, then they gave me Goodyear wranglers (sucked) and I replaced them with BFG All Terrains (majority of years with the '01).

I am in need of tires for my '07 very soon but don't know what to get. I have the Limited with the 18" wheels so I am limited by the odd size.

I've been tracking my mileage since day one in my 2007 V8. Overall, I'm getting, as of this morning, 17.1 MPG.

I recently pulled off the original tires (Michelin Cross Terrain) and installed a set of BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A's. Stock size (235/70R16). I keep them inflated to 42 PSI and have seen very little, if any change in my mileage.

My '08 V6 is rated at 14/19. I have added a Gibson exhaust and put in Mobil 1 0w-30 Fuel Economy Formula (for what that's worth). I also recently hit the 10,000 miles that the 4.0 needs to break in.

On our trip to from PA to FL we got between 18 and 20 mpg per tank with four people and a full bed of luggage, a cooler, and golf clubs. On a couple shorter trips in FL where everything is flat I saw as high as 24 and averaged 22 running a steady 70 to 75 with the cruise on, four people, and no luggage. Used the roof carrier coming home and that cut the mileage to 18 but we took the Auto Train for part of the trip back.

Latest posts