My radio went nuts!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David J 3

Reaction score
Well this morning my radio did something I would never have expected. As I was backing out of the driveway, I reached to turn down the volume. As I turned it down, the volume increased, so in response to the increasing volume, I attempted to turn it down only to have the volume increase more. No matter which way I turned the knob, the volume increased, finally to the point of what I would consider " full blast." The only thing I could do is turn the radio off until I could get to work and try and fix it.

To make a long story even longer, I discovered that if I pull on the volume knob while turning it down, the volume will decrease and I could get it back to a decent level. It has been working fine the rest of the day, and I hope to never have this problem again. Although I'm sure it will happen again, at least I know how to deal with it. I hope.

This post is an FYI to anyone that may have this happen to them, (and I'm sure it will)

so they can deal with this problem, and so they don't ruin their speakers or their hearing.

What? I can't hear you. No, no problems with my radiator.:D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually, I do remember a post not that long ago that I think they were having the same problem with the volume but they were also having problems with some of the buttons. Could be another Gremlin for the ST.;)

Actually I was having the problems but they were resolved when I removed the bowling ball bag from the back that was hitting the buttons on the radio in the back of the armrest. A pretty easy fix once I had the "Aha" moment.

Can I assume you do not have a bowling ball bag in the back seat? If so remove it, worked wonders for me.

I'll spare everyone from me doing a project on this one as I am out of High Life (Miller that is) right now which is one of my main tools.

JT#14

David,

I had this exact same problem a few years ago with the 6 disc changer for my trac...I guess since i used to always flip the volume knob up and down real quickly i must have broke something. Anyways, it became very annoying, and it prompted me to buy a new aftermarket headunit..

You sound like you have the same problem, and it prolly wont stay fixed for long.

Good luck

Andy

No bowling ball behind the seat, or anything else for that matter. I know it probably wont stay fixed for long, I'll just put up with it as long as I can.

Latest posts