my sport trac is not my old ranger

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Alright, I'm totally depressed over my sport trac. My old 1993 ranger was exactly the way I wanted it, - big offroad tires (325x60xr15) on 15x10 rims, 5 inch lift, manual transmission, manual windows, manual seats,4.10 gears, powertrax noslip rear locker, manual transfercase with lever, was converted from 2wd to 4wd by me, with a short bed on it. It was blistering fast, and from the day I picked it up I'd drive it like it was indestructable because it was. I'd gotten the front axle from a I loved that little lightweight truck. Driving the way I did I'd get 17 to 18 mpg.

Trans went, I'd replaced it before and rebuilt the previous one, but failed to change the syncro's at the time due to lack of funds. That's why it died 80,000 miles later - the synchros went. Since the 2 kids had come along, I needed something more practical, something I can carry the kids in. In comes the '04 sport trac, and I'm thinking it's just like the old truck except has a rear seat.

How wrong I was.

This trac is big, and HEAVY and slow. It's got power seats, heated leather, tonneau cover, running boards, and weights a TON. It's got 4.10 gears and I can put a locker in the back, jack it up, etc. but it's just not the same. My first tank of gas, where I babied it and drove like a grandmother yeilded me 14.3 mpg. Now I'm stuck driving so flipping conservatively trying to save gas that I can't stand it. I feel like if I drive this one like I did the other one, I'd get 11 or 12 mpg. It just weighs a ton and somebody called it a 'cute car' this week. Pics of my baby that I sold and my new truck are in my library.

--Bob

you need a Xcal2 from Wfoy it makes a huge differenc on how it runs if i nail the gas it will move like you would not believe i have 265 75 16 mud tires with 4:10's i am ordering several move things monday i hope the exhust and new throttle body make a big difference.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I used to be able to punch it and smoke the big 12.8 wide all terrains any time I wanted. Now it's pathetic. Tell me a little about your truck, what size tires, what size/type of lift?

--Bob

2001 4x4 lift is 1.5'' up front with the torsion bars tightened up lift cost free other than an alignment rear are extended shackles most use warrior shackles i made my own 1.5'' tires are Remington mud brutes 265/75 16 = 32 tall x 10 wide i have a K&n air filter a tuner from Wfoy(Xcal2) the ST rides much better than stock with the torsion bars tightened in my own opinion.no if i punch it it will not burn the tires but i can power brake it and burn them once moving it moves pretty good. i flashed my computer to stock the other day and could not believe ho slow the ST was i had to put it back as soon as i could pull over.

I really didn't like my truck when it was stock, but with the swapped intake, shocks, wheels/tires and lift, it really is a blast to drive. I'm opting for the XCal II and exhaust to gain more MPG and hopefully a little more horsepower. Lift it and do some performance mods before you start hating it :) In my opinion, keeping a vehicle stock is a crime! Your Ranger was fun to drive because of all the mods you did to it, so get started on the trac- offroad tracs are a thing of beauty!

[Broken External Image]:

-Heather in OC

Good point - If my ranger had been stock at the end, it wouldn't have been as much fun to drive.....

I bought the closet flange today, but bought the 4inch instead of the 3 inch. Gotta go exchange it tonight. Tried to buy the k&n filter but autozone wanted $60 bucks for it, and wasn't even sure it was going to fit.

I'm planning on going full synthetic on the next oil change - amsoil or mobil1 was all I used in the ranger, same thing in the Escape.

I miss my Ranger sometimes too, but I needed more room for my kids...the Trac is "classier"...maybe not as sporty, but I Love it...here's my old Ranger[Broken External Image]:

I got rid of the Ranger for the Trac because we were trying to start a family and it was a good time to switch. I loved the Ranger, I think I like Rangers better, but it sure is nice being able to take the wife and three friends somewhere and I get to drive. :)

You know where I'm coming from then! Yep, I do like the sport trac, and I really do love having the ability to carry people in it! Actually I just filled up the tank, and got my worst gas mileage ever. But I'm thinking with a little twist and some shackles I might be in business.

--Bob

I have no problem smoking the tires.

Videos and pics in my library..

I think More research should have been done before purchasing the truck.

Todd Z

Todd,

I guess I don't disagree, but thought I HAD done the research for 13 years owning a ranger. This is the 4 door version of the ranger. My ranger in stock form was rated 18 city 24 highway. This truck has basically the same engine, similar transmission, same transfer case (I've got a spare if anybody wants one), same rear axle, very similar front axle, similar frame, similar styling, etc. This is basically the 4 door version of the ranger. So where does it get so much added weight? I know I chose more weight with the power seats and moonroof and running boards and rear cover, but didn't have much time to choose when the other truck died. All I care about is getting 16 or 17 city.

So on to happier topics, you can smoke your tires on dry pavement? I'm going right now to look at your library!

--Bob

Heck, with only my cone filter, dual out exhaust & XCal2 tuner I could light em' up with just a touch of powerbrake. Of course that was with the little bitty stock tires--not the 37x14.5s:D

And that was before I changed out the 4.10 gears for the 5.13s:) Soon I am going to put some stock tires on for an afternoon & just have fun. I fully expect it will burn em from a dead stop with no powerbraking----The truck will look like he** but it'll be fun:lol: