My Tranny is Dead AGAIN.......

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Cat

Reaction score
Well my transmission died again on Tuesday. I just had it rebuilt about a year and a half ago. Now it decides to do it again! I was not really having any problems with it either. One time it slipped, but no o/d light and it didnt happen again. So i thought it was a little burp.

But this time on the way home for my brother's birthday from school it decides to basically die. I was on the highway trying to pass someone and give it some gas and the engine revs past the redline and I don't go anywhere. This happens twice more when I give it a little gas. It doesnt shift and the engine just revs. Then I get off the highway to a light. I am stopped at the light and I give it gas to go and its like im in nuetral again. I don't go anywhere. I finally have to put it into the lower gear to get the truck moving. I start driving again and put it back into drive. It does fine until it tries to shift again. It does the same thing as it did on the highway. It would not shift at all. Finally I limp home going about 30 mph and go to back up my driveway. Reverse would not work either.

AHHHHHH. I Hate Explorer transmissions!!!!

Now im out almost $3000 again and I don't know what to do

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Sorry for the venting...

Last edited by a moderator:
No warranty??????

Check the local junk yards for a tranny, probably alot cheaper then new...get in touch with coastie joe here on teh site he can help you locate one...

Also you sure its shot, it might be a bad sensor or something in the tranny.

I would bring it back to whoever did the work on it the first time because

tranies should last a lot longer then a 1 1/2 years

Good luck.

Paul H

Sounds like the shift solenoids, Maybe it can be a simple fix and not a complete rebuild....

I agree, Blame the re builder , not the manufacturer

almost all shops here give 2 year and 24K mile warranty....

IF it needs a rebuild ask for the warrenty first and find a shop with a good warrenty...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Many shops will replace what needs replaced, but charge you as if they replaced everything.

A one year warranty sounds shady to me. I paid $1,900.00 for a complete rebuild on my wifes Explorer (We knew it when we got it and it was priced accordingly) with the upgraded parts and new everything, including a new torque converter.

What places are you guys going to that are sticking it in your rear for $3 g's? Even the dealer was only $2,200.00. Those are all the "out the door" prices too.

Tom

Let me know if you need a good low mileage transmission. Alot of times they don't really rebuild it, they just change out something simple and send you down the road. Let me know and I can have one drop shipped directly to where ever you need it.

Randy

TJR haha I wish I had the money. I would have gotten rid of it already. The tranny shop hasn't looked at it yet so hopefully it is just something simple. But the guy said it would be around high 2000s for a rebuilt tranny. All I can do now is wait and see what the problem is when they look at it.

TJR haha I wish I had the money. I would have gotten rid of it already. The tranny shop hasn't looked at it yet so hopefully it is just something simple. But the guy said it would be around high 2000s for a rebuilt tranny. All I can do now is wait and see what the problem is when they look at it.

>>>>>No warranty??????<<<<<

Have our expectations of U.S. auto manufacturers reached such a low that we now feel we MUST buy an extended warranty. B.S.

>>>>>Sounds like the rebuilder screwed you, not the vehicle builder.<<<<<

If not for the vehicle builder, it wouldn't have needed to be rebuilt the first time.

And we wonder why the U.S. auto manufacturers are losing ground so quickly. Before you start flaming I own three vehicles. all U.S. made.

Let me share a story with you on my transmission on my old truck. Back in the eighties, I bought a pickup with a transmission that was having trouble. I drove it for another year before I decided to change the trannie. My mechanic at the time bought one from Amarillo that had been rebuilt (supposedly). I drove it for 2 months and it started acting up like yours. My mechanic told me to take it to the trannie shop that rebuilt it. When they pulled it and rebuilt it again. They asked me what I had been doing to it. The o-rings were wore out like I had been doing alot of offroading and had let it run out of fluid. When I told them that it was only a few moths old.THey changed their tune and said O we must have not changed the orings out.So If it is not a new trannie, you take a chance of someone not having a good day that day._Ron