My turn for the flashing O/D light... Must be Monday!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry Matthews

Reaction score
Well, last week while driving up in Tahoe I noticed my rig shifting pretty roughly, and then noticed the flashing O/D light of death. A couple of days later, it did it again. So Friday I took it in to see my service advisor over at Downtown Ford here in Sacramento. He asked 'How many miles?" 80,000. "Got any extended warranties?" No. He gives me a couple different scenarios... Anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to several hundred dollars. It does it again yesterday in Tahoe. So this morning, I'm on my way down to Ford to have them look at it, and IT DOES IT! How lucky can I be? No 'can not duplicate' problems for me this morning!!! So the tranny guy takes it out for a drive, and gives me the bad news... Solenoid valve body is clogged. So I'm out $500 something for a new valve body, and a couple hundred more for labor. And I just spent $600 on new tires on Friday. OUCH!

Good thing the Kings home season starts tomorrow! Looks like I know where my tips will be going for the next couple of weeks...

Be thankful it is not a total rebuild, and just the valve body, and associated solenoids..

Todd Z

Todd,

The tranny guy was from Long Island. Thanks to talking to you, I talked to him about the potholes on the LIE. So he didn't even charge me for the test drive!

Well, I just got the call... My rig is done, and it's ONLY gonna cost $925!!! So it was more extensive than just the solenoid valve body... Wade said it was a good thing I brought it in when I did, because it would soon need a total rebuild at over $3k! I had gasket parts starting to move about in there, and it was a short time before they would have been everywhere. I'm on my way down to Ford right now with a BIG bag of pennies!!!

Glad to here it....Let us know how she does...

Have him tweek the Epc also...:D

Test drive is good for 20-40 bucks here!!!.... Cool I will take a check!!..;):lol:

Todd Z

You guys are scaring me. :eek: I have had 3 occurrences of the dreaded flashing O/D light. In all cases, there was NO code error code displayed even while the light was flashing (I have the ScanGauge by LinearLogic). In all cases the flashing went away after an extended shutdown (nothing longer than over night). The last occurrence was about three weeks ago. My '02 has 90k miles on it.

During one of the occurrences, the tranny stooped down shifting to first gear at a stop and would start up in second gear. Almost seems to be heat related as all occurrences happened on warm days with heavy driving. Fluid level is OK and looks clear with no odor to it but I am probably overdue for a service. Maybe this time I will opt for a full fluid flush.

Whatchutalkin'bout L?

I got 44,000 miles on those Bridgestones! And those weren't easy miles, either! That ain't bad for the way I drive... There was still a LITTLE bit of tread left, but they sure weren't gonna make it through chain controls!

Krash, sorry to hear about the tranny issue, but lucky you it didn't cost thousands of dollars. Very discouraging to hear tranny issues from the regulars. It seems like three out of ten active members are or have had tranny issues me included. Mine was nothing major but, hopefully it stays this way for the duration. Just curious, have you had your tranny flushed or dropped the pan previously?

---

Hi LY!

I had the tranny flushed at 60k. And I'd say it's higher than 3 out of 10. I'm really lucky that I was aware of the situation from reading this website. That's what saved me money! I knew as soon as the light started flashing that it was a tranny issue, and that I needed to have it looked at soon. The tranny tech says that he sees these trannies come in all the time, same problem.

And that's what my friend keeps telling me... Think positive! Lucky it was only a grand, and not several grand.