Mystery Hose

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Mattison

Reaction score
OK, so I'm looking out at my Trac in the driveway and I see something dangling by the spare tire. Upon further inspection, it is a rubber hose. So, I crawl under and discover that this hose is attached to the driver side axel, just inside from the springs. Obviously, the other end is dangling. What is it for, where does it go? ('04 4x2 Limited Slip)

Last edited by a moderator:
One end of the hose should attach to the axel as you described the other attaches to the frame via a metal clip. there also should be a white/clear-ish plactic "do-dad" on the end.

-Mine has been pulled of by the rear sway bar before (should not drive over parking stops):D

-Don D.

IT is attached to the rear diff and should be zip tied just above the spair tire....One end is left open and not connected to any thing..

Todd Z

Ok, so the dangly end gets left open and attached above the spare to the frame. I didn't see a do-dad, so maybe that is still up there. I'll drop the spare tomorrow and give it a look-see.

Thanks for the help!

May not need to drop the spare. I think it is zip ties to frame crossmember, in front of the tire..

Generally, the open end will have some kind of a filter on it. I have seen vented caps to slipped over foam. It is to allow for the expansion of the gear oil as it heats up and contracts when it cools down. The vented cap keeps dirt out..

Thanks for all the great replies! I found the spot, just like you guys said, in front of the spare at the frame rail. There is a little plastic 'cradle' and a couple of holes for zip ties or whatever. There was a piece of electrical-type tape around my hose and I was unable to find any filter or vent cap type of thing. It's tied back up. Should I be concerned about finding another filter/vent?