Narrow down between 4x4 control module & 4x4 motor?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd I 4

Reaction score
2001 Sporttrac, ~ 75K miles.

I'm trying to get my 4x4 going again before winter snows come. I've read through a lot of messages from people having troubles with 4x4 engaging, which seem to fall into two main areas: bad relay / control module and bad 4x4 motor.

At the end of last winter, my 4x4 would sometimes act flakey. The light would go on & off, and I would hear the relay clicking and the 4x4 would take a while to engage. But, it would usually engage shortly after I began driving.

That was at the end of the winter, and I lazily didn't take the time to diagnose it.

I recently turned on my 4x4, and found that the indicator light doesn't light at all, and I get absolutely no clicking in 4wd High or Low.

Based on other threads I've read here, it sounds like the relay is gone -- no clicking. But, how about the intermittent behavior last winter. Is that consistent with a relay issue, or does that point to the motor?

I've experienced the no 4wd and clicking problem before. But it usually goes away.

And then the last time I was out offroading I experienced it not going into 4wd and no clicking. Just nothing. So, I got me a wrench and gave the motor a few love taps. It started working again.

That's what I hate about the electrical motor setup. It can fail on you at the most inconvenient time.

But also remember, if you really need it and it's not working, you can remove the motor and get some pliers to manual switch it into 4wd High and then to 4wd Low if needed.

Some day I will get a manual transfer case put in my truck. :D

Are there any conversion kits for manual tranfer cases?

You don't need one for the manual Borg Warner 1354 tcase. It's the same as the electric one, but it is manual. You just might have to cut a hole in the floor for the tcase shift stick. I've never looked to see if there is an existing plate to remove.

But, many Rangers come with the manual BW 1354 transfer case.

If you buy the expensive Advance Adapter transfer case, then you will need to make driveshaft modifications in addition to floor board modifications for the shifters.

Have some one int he truck flip the switch as you tap the motor with a small hammer or rubber mallet. IF it works every time, the motor is bad..

IF not, the module is bad..

Todd Z

Check the wiring when you flip the switch (Actually have a friend flip the switch and you check the current)

Tom

i had the exact same problem with my 01 st...it turned out to be a bad module first, and then a bad wire behind the dash second...this also happened to my 06 ranger with 300 miles on it...i just wish ford would offer the 4 on the floor with rangers and sport tracs...

Good luck

Andy Szkutak

Latest posts