Neat article on the KC-135 refueling planes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool article. I almost joined the Air Force myself about 16 years ago.......Hmmmmmm, I probably could have retired by now!: P

Bill,

Very interesting article for two reasons. Of course, I knew we repaired KC-135 at Tinker AFB. But the reason why I liked the article is because it reminded me of one of my most memorable moments. I was on leave from Lajes Field in the Azores (Portugal) and flew "Space-Available" on a KC-135 back to the US. I was offered the chance to sit next to the boom operator as he refueled a squadron of A-10s over the mid-Atlantic. It was really cool to watch, and I will always remember it. :wub::cool:

The old girls are showing thier age for sure. I used to work on KC-135A,E & R models back in the day up at Loring AFB, ME. I'm still active duty, going on 22yrs, and hoping to retire soon. My brother is a boom instructor at Altus on them. He's been flying them for 20yrs now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be a KC-135 Boom Operator on A and Q models out of the 917th AFRES out of Dyess AFB in Texas, those were some good times. It is now going on 14 years since I was refueling aircraft in the air, best job in the Air Force when you can be lying down on the job!!

:D

Ah, the Iron Maiden! Tanking off the -135 was generally not fun! I was just sitting in the back of F-14s and I didn't like it. The hose was very short and it was easy to bend things on our airplane. The KC-10 is considered much more forgiving once hooked up.

"NKAWTG-N!!"

(No-one Kicks Ass Without Tanker Gas - No-one!!)

I've flown on the Stratotanker myself. Very cool airframe. I was assigned to McConnell AFB KS for 5 years. Nothing better than watching them do touch-and-goes on the airfield. Now that I'm at Scott AFB, I sit at the fenceline every morning watching the maintenance crews spinning up the Illinois ANG KC-135's.

Latest posts