Need a new computer-- Recommendations?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
My computer at home finally croaked and I am sick of it. I want to buy a new one. Anyone have any recommendations for a good reliable desktop computer that will last me another five years?

I have been looking at a Dell P4 system for around $900.

Thanks

What are you going to be using it for?

Basic internet crap or more serious stuff like photo/video editing?

You can't go wrong with Dell. I bought a Dimension E510, 2.8ghz P4, 1gb ram, 160gb hard drive, 128mb ATI PCIe video, 19" Ultrascan digital LCD monitor for $768 with tax.

These days I'd be looking at getting a Macintosh. Now that they are using intel chips you can run both Windows and Mac OSX on them. Best of both worlds. You can play all your windows games or use it for work stuff and then flip it over and use the Mac side for the outstanding photo and video editing.

Do a google search for bootcamp or parallels for more information.

I plan to use it for internet, E-mail (home and business). Word processing, basic spreadsheets, moderate Access, powerpoint, etc. I like speed and reliability, and don't want to buy something cheap that will be obsolete soon. My employer always uses latest Office software, so I need to keep current to be compatible. No video editing. Some photo stuff. Some music storage/playback/downloading/CD burning. Maybe play a DVD now and then, but don't record/download DVD.

More ideas?

Statik, I probably am not interested in a Mac. Sorry, but the humiliation and teasing wouldn't be worth it, even if it was the best computer! Money is a factor--I want to stay low, but don't mind paying if I need to.

Gavin, If it was just the tower that quit and the monitor and other accessories still work fine,You might look at going to a computer shop that builds computers, you can get a good tower for alot cheaper then a whole new setup. I build and repair alot of computers.My advice is stay away from any compaq or hp systems, I have worked on alot of those that were just over a year old.I have two hp towers sitting here that I have to work on. Stay with either a shop built system or a gateway,dell system. Ron

LOL, Gavin, didn't you get the memo? Ever since the iPod craze, Macs are cool :D

I'm definitely thinking a dual core <a href='http://www.apple.com/macmini/'>mac mini</a> will be my next box. The ability to run Mac OSX, Linux and Windows Vista all on the same box for $800 is too good to pass by.

As for other computers, my only recommendation is to stick to a name brand. HP, Sony or Dell (If you don't mind mail order)

If you're going with a Dell, go to www.slickdeals.net and watch for coupons. Dell routinely offers 30 and 40% off coupons. Last year, I purchased my Inspiron 6000D for $1900 and change. It was originally $3300 or so before I applied the coupon. The coupons make it worthwhile to max out the specs.

THANKS! Some good advice here, and some good recommendations! JDBoxes' Gateway looks pretty tempting!

Now to do some pondering and decide, and place an order!

Gavin - I have a Gateway laptop. Centrino 1.7 and I have to say I'm not happy with it. Doing internet, email and word is fine. If I do anything else I bring it to it's knees. Photoshop and Illustrator kill it. All the pre-loaded software makes it slow. You have to remove all of it to make it run correctly.

Not to hijack this thread... but computer related........How can I defrag my computer? I select the option and it starts running the program and I get a message that it has restarted like 10 times and I have other programs running? So how do I turn off the programs that are running? :wacko:

GlennB. The easiest thing to do is start windows in safe mode and defrag. The other option is go to start, run, type: msconfig, go to startup programs and uncheck everything except maybe the antivirus programs.

Gavin. You just need a very basic computer. I wouldn't spend more then about $700 for your needs. And that includes a 19" LCD monitor.