need advise on engine replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B 3

Reaction score
I have purchased a used engine with under 16k miles on it. Question is, other than the obvious plugs, check waterpump, front and real seals. what other things should I check and/or replace before putting the engine in? intake gaskets? tensioners? timing chain? please give advice on any and all so i don't miss anything while it will be easy to work on.

thanks

If it is a 2001 Job 1 engine, I would replace the upper and lower intake gasket, and the tensioner along with the oil galley restrictor plug.

Tom

Tom has pretty much nailed it. Those are the common week links of that series of engines.

Other than looking for obvious leaks that should be addressed before you install the engine, you should be good to go.

I agree with tom, You also may want to replace the W/P bypass hoses, and any other easy replaced part while the engine is out rather than take a chance of the seals being dry rotted from sitting..

Change the T-stat, Plugs wires, stuff like that...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd brought up a good point, now is the time for plugs and wires. It will save you MUCH time and skinned knuckles later...