NEED HELP..Belt tensioner tips.. PLEASE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Griffith 2

Reaction score
Can someone give me a tip on getting the tensioner to loosen? I tried last night as it was getting dark to no prevail. I did however end up dropping the ratchet down in the fan shroud. By the time I got that off and dug it out I was cashed. Gonna try the tensioner again when I get home. I don't have a pipe or anything to extend to ratchet. Also, if I have the ratchet in the little square should I be cranking toward the engine (left to right)? It wasn't budging either way last night. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Griff, you have to push towards the fender. I had to use my jointed ratchet with a pipe for leverage. I wonder if it would be easier from the bottom. I moght try that next time. The spring is very strong. Fan is definitly in the way.

If you don't have a pipe to extend it you can always use a boxe end wrench and put it on the end of the rachet wrench to extend it. If you can see if Eddie's suggestion about going from the bottom side will work easier for you. Hope you get it fixed, keep us posted. :banana:

I was just barely able to do it with a standard 3/8 inch socket wrench. And I was exhausted when I was done.

A longer lever arm is what you need. The pipe suggestion will work if the pipe isn't too long. I had a 3-foot pipe on hand, but that would not fit into the available space when I crawled under the truck.

If I did it again, I would use either a longer-handled 3/8 socket wrench or a 1/2 wrench with a 3/8 adapter.