Need help with a diagnosis asap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Hello All,

I went to start my Trac today at lunch and something made a popping noise and it spued exhaust fumes back into the cab. The temperature here is 6 degrees so it was trying hard. I tried to start it again and it turned over but was mis firing badly. It will stay running if you nurse the foot feet but it obviously sounds different. Like it doesn't have compression or something. COuld I have lost the catalytic converter? Thoughts please? Thanks

Vacuum hose loose, broke, etc.?

Plug wires bad?

Hard to say from the limited info. You're probably gonna have to get it to a mechanic who has a warm garage to take a look at it and who can check codes and diagnose. Sorry.

It is almost 12 here, so I feel your pain.

Good luck. Stay safe.

Did you shut it off and the restart ????

Could be the ST "gremlin" or a dirty or stuck IAC....

Todd Z

Your description makes it sound as though it sucked a valve or something like that.

Certainly look into the simple things first, but with the pop through the intake and it sounding different now makes me think it is not an easy fix per say.

Could have been a simple issue and when it popped it blew the intake gaskets which are pretty weak on the Trac to begin with...

I did restart it after and it would run for a few seconds and then choke and puke and die. I didnt touch the gas. I had a friend look at it and he was able to keep it running longer by using the gas but it was obvious something isnt right. At one point when he was letting it die it backfired. It almost sounded like a backfire when i started it the first time too. What is the IAC?

IAC is Idle Air Control solenoid.

You can pretty much eliminate this being the issue by,,, holding your foot on the pedal only a SLIGHT amount. If it runs smooth, then yes, look into the IAC.

Still runs ruff, you will need to look further. At least check for intake gasket leaks. But I am afraid that it is a valve issue based on your explanation...

UPDATE: Not positive that this is the entire problem yet, havent heard from the mechanic but I took a closer look under the hood at the infamous "elbow" and it had completely come off the metal pipe that heads to the rear of the engine. I had it trip the codes last year and we replaced it but not with the Ford elbow assembly but with a pre-formed supposed to be as strong elbow and it looks like it has separated. SInce it is 8 degrees with a windchill of 20 below I went ahead and had it towed to a mechanic. Praying that is the entire issue. Will keep you posted, thanks for of the input. I have found over the years of owning my Trac that you guys are very helpful and informed. Thanks Again!

My money's on the "slipped" elbow, but what caused it to blow off?

Had to be excessive pressure to do that. I cleaned my IAC per Todd's project.

51K, was filthy with buildup. Carb Cleaner, many cotton swabs, 3 in 1 oil, and compressed air.

Give you credit Marsha. Many women, and men, would look at the the radiator,

battery, or tires, in your predicament. LOL. Keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I hope it is nothing more than the elbow, I am betting that when it POPPED that the back pressure blew the hose off...

I truly hope I am wrong though...

Best of luck...

When we replaced the elbow I dont remeber if we put a clamp on it because it was really tight to begin with. Seems to be running fine except that the mechanic thought he would be nice and clean my battery cables and now it is wanting to die when I put it in park!? You see it is the original battery and now that the "seal" is broken, ten to one I end up putting a new battery in! Not bad for a 2001 with 120k and the original battery! Thanks for all of you help, now if I could just figure out the wanting to die when it goes into park? Maybe it is the battery?

Clean the IAC shown in the Projects section. (Todd Z)

Very simple procedure using only a 7MM and 8MM nut driver or socket.

Just did mine at 51K, was filthy with carbon buildup.

Wouldn't hurt, even if it does not fix your stalling problem.

P.S.- Another project is cleaning the throttle body. Describes rough idling symptom, but not stalling.

I'm going to do it as a preventitive and maintenance measure anyway.

Just bought the Diehard P-2 battery. $189, but worth every penny. Ask Todd. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts