NEED HELP WITH TRAILER HITCH

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I have a Gen 2 2008 ST. The truck has a 1 1/4 factory receiver trailer hitch. Has anyone tried to change this out to a 2" receiver. I know that the whole hitch is welded in. Not sure if a good welder could cut the small one out and weld in a 2" or just cut out the entire bar between the frame rails and replace it with a factory 2" bar. Thanks for much needed help.

I switched the entire crossmember out on a 2008 but in hindsight I’d have cut the old receiver out and put in the 2”. The only difference is the size of the receiver, the hole that the wiring goes through and the wiring. I also bought the factory wiring which starts under the passenger seat. A huge pain to install. If the xmember is even available anymore it’s like $800+.

Yes, many people have done it... there are extensive write ups on the facebook forums. Remove bumper, Grind ( Not torch) Cut the welds, Take out old, Properly cut new opening, Have professional welder weld both sides, prime and paint, put bumper cover back on. Done.

Latest posts