need help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uwe Canting

Reaction score
The "check filler door" light came on yesterday. Today the "check engine" light came on as well. What should I be concerned about? I am currently at the beach, three hours from home. The 03 ST is running great otherwise.

Remove the gas cap and make sure the gasket is seated properly.

The warning lights should turn off by itself after a short time, or

disconnect the negative battery cable for 30 minutes and reconnect.

The least important of all the warning lights, nothing to worry about. :driving:

From the owners manual, check yours from the link below. (Instrument Cluster)

Check fuel cap: Displays when the fuel cap may not be properly installed.

Continued driving with this display on may cause the Check Engine warning light to come on.

Refer to Fuel filler cap in the Maintenance and Specifications

Last edited by a moderator:
Mprimo,4/15/2012 05:44 MT

Go to autozone. They will plug it in and diagnose it for free.

Hardly....they will tell you what code is stored and then make a guess as to what the problem may be so they can sell you parts...there is absolutely no diagnostics involved.

by navyman, 4/14/2012 21:01 MT

Category - General Information

The "check filler door" light came on yesterday. Today the "check engine" light came on as well. What should I be concerned about? I am currently at the beach, three hours from home. The 03 ST is running great otherwise.

The lights probably came on not long after you got gas...correct?. After you get gas the truck will run a quick evap test. After this test it looks at the results for the last test it ran and if it didn't fail previously but failed this time it turns on the check gas cap light because it knows you put gas in and the most likely casue in that circumstance is a loose gas cap. Shortly thereafter it will run another evap test because it thinks that you actually paid attention to the light and tightened the gas cap, if it doesn't see any evap issues then it turns off the check gas cap light but if it does see an issue it turns on the check engine light and once the check engine light is turned on it takes 40 tests of the system by the computer without a failure to turn the light off and depending on which system is at fault this could take a couple weeks.

l1tech,

Hardly....they will tell you what code is stored and then make a guess as to what the problem may be so they can sell you parts...there is absolutely no diagnostics involved.

Not entirely true...at least not at my local AutoZone. They read my CEL codes and plug it into a computer that gave out a description of each of the three error codes and probably cause.

Yes, more diagnostics need to be done to actuall pinpoint the failing parts, but it least it points you in the right direction to start looking....and that's about all the OBDII diagnostics can do.

...Rich

So a code is worth nothing? Each problem has a code an every time I fix the code theey have given me it has worked for me and its free. If I go to the dealer they will charge over $80 for the same thing. Plug in, get a code and fix. The dealer doesnt do a whole lot of diognostics either. If there is a major problem maybe,

Thanks to all that replied. The gas cap was indeed loose, and after tightening it down properlyx both warning lights went off. This is a great web site.

remove the positive cable for a minute and replace it will remove the code the test drive if light comes on then go get itchecked :smack:

enjoy the time on the beach truck will be there:supercool:

mprimo,4/15/2012 19:11 MT

So a code is worth nothing? Each problem has a code an every time I fix the code theey have given me it has worked for me and its free. If I go to the dealer they will charge over $80 for the same thing. Plug in, get a code and fix. The dealer doesnt do a whole lot of diognostics either. If there is a major problem maybe,

A trouble code is a tool and all tools are only as good as the person using the tool but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. My experience with parts stores doing "diagnostics" comes from my first time customers and the conversation usually starts like "the parts stores pulled my codes and sold me X Y Z parts but the light came back on adn my car still runs the same". In almost all of these situations had the customer came to me first I could have saved them a substantial amount of money. There is no replacement for a qualified technician with experience working on your vehicle and a high school student who can plug in a scanner and type on a computer does not fit that bill.

Latest posts