Need Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Knight

Reaction score
Good evening everyone. I have been visiting this board for a few months now doing some research trying to figure out a problem with my 2002 Sport Trac (2wd).

I have been plagued by the O/D light flashing, hard shift, and erratic idle for a few months. I have cleaned the IA Sensor, checked the plastic tube elbow, changed the plugs, battery terminals, cleaned the MAF sensor, and tried adjusting the idle.

The problem is this:

At a stop light, the truck will develop a strange idle as if it has an oversized cam in it. It will rock back and forth and surge like it wants to drive forward. If I shift into N from D then it still sounds the same, only gets less noticeable and stops the surging.

In addition to the above, we have issues with the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes other gears. Hesitation in shifting and then it will rev high and shift.

I am thinking about tearing the transmission apart and doing a filter and fluid change and while in there replacing the servo block.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

You could have several issues....Any thing from a failing tranny, to a bad converter, to a bad torque converter....

as asked what are the check engine codes?

Todd Z

As the trans goes. With an '02. You need the updgraded sepreator plate gasket. Also the lugging when you come to a stop. Might be the torque covertor unlock solenoid.

The reving between shifts is the seperator plate and or shift solenoids. Common with '01 to '03 Tracs.

Thanks for the replies. I have not checked any codes. Do we need a scanner or is there a way to check them without? My 300ZX had a self diagnostic built into it and you could get codes without a scanner. Does the Sport Trac have something similar? I searched this site but only found the list of the codes, no procedure for checking.

Thanks

You'll need a device that plugs into the OBDII port, under the steering column. The simplest way is to go to local auto parts store, like Autozone or O'Reillys.

Thinking 2nd-3rd shift flare.

There is a description of thi sin my library.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a code reader/eraser off ebay for under $50. Part stores charge a lot for what they actually do. Mine is simple and lets me know what codes are there, that's all I need.

Ok. I was able to get a reader and finally get some codes pulled.

Here are the results:

"No Powertrain DTC or Freeze Frame present"

KOEO:

P1464 A/C Demand out of self test range

KOER:

P1116 Engine Coolant Sensor out of self test range

P1703 Brake Switch out of self test range

P1464 (Same as above)

P1137 Lack of HO2S12 switches, sensor = Lean

Any and all help with your advice as to putting a game plan together for parts and links to projects that may be helpful so I can tackle this would be greatly appreciated.

First and foremost I would like to get that idle situation taken care of and my thoughts would be start with the P1137 code, unless someone has another suggestion.

Thanks!

Latest posts