need help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaquin owens

Reaction score
I recently changed the plugs on my 02 sport trac. Now it is running rough like it is miss firing or has a dead cylinder. I have verified that all the wires are correctly installed and plugged into the spark plugs. I have been working on cars and trucks many years and have never had this problem. The check engine light is not on. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you replace the wires? If not, you may have messed on up replacing the plugs. If you did swap the wires, you need to double check you have the correct location of the plugs.

Tom

No I did not replace the wires. They were replaced 2 years ago. I guess I could have screwed one up. Thank you. I will replace them tomorrow, And let you know.

Two years is not that old. Wait for daylight and go back out and check them one at a time. Makes sure both ends have a tight connection to the wire. If they check good, I'd go with Toms suggestion and make sure the wires are connected to the plugs per firing order. I've found crossing a wire all too easy to do.

Good luck

I couldn't have switched them.I replaced the plugs one at a time. I learned that lesson long ago.lol. I will do some more poking around. With my luck I broke a wire pulling it off the plug.

Safe bet is to double check everything. No 2 year is not that long, but you never know. It really doesn't take much to mess a wire up. Also double check your plugs, if you have the time pull them and double check the gapping, and make sure they are all time. It sound like it is something simple.

I know the wires can be hard to get off the plug, maybe you accidentially broke a wire when you removed it, pulling one at a time is the way I do it as well, to prevent the wrong wire on the wrong plug booboo. If you have one of those IR temp sensors, maybe you could find the "cooler" cyclinder with one.

If you have an ohmeter, you can pull each wire and measure the resistance from end to end. Shouldn't be more than 6,000 ohms per foot I think, but just check to see if you have one that's out of wack.

You could have a cracked insulator around the spark plug. I had this happen to me one time. Those guys at the parts store could have dropped it or if you over tighten them they will crack.

I agree with the others. What plugs did you put in? I had a guy I know replace mine and he put in Bosche Plugs. One went bad in a week and it ran really rough. Wanted to stall when at idle, and missed at cruising speed. Finally through a code. Misfire cyl 5. Sure enough the plug was burnt through at the base. Bosche Platnum Plus were what they were. Put in Autolite Platnums and the engine hasn't missed a beat since. ;)

Replaced my plugs and wires yesterday. I used Autolite APP103 (got two 4-packs on eBay for $19.98 with free shipping). Runs like new.

I just got the new wires and am about to put them on. The plugs I used were the Bosch Platinum plus. I was recommended these by a friend with an 03 ST. He said they work great. Well if the wires don't fix the problem I will double check the plugs and maybe go to an autolite plug. Ty for all the help.

OK, Here is the update......... When replacing the wires I found one in pretty poor condition( I missed it when replacing the plugs). The wires did not help much so I started taking out the new plugs to see if one was damaged, and what do you know, one was busted almost in half. Not sure if it came that way or I did it installing. Well the truck runs great now and all I have to do is replace the old plug I had to put back in. I will post in a few weeks and let you guys know if the Bosch plugs are still working. Thank you all who posted for the tips.