need question answered

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulette lopez 2

Reaction score
I need a question answered? is it ok to put the STP gas treatment in my gas tank, will it harm the engine, cause my husband keep telling me to put it in. cause we put it in our other vehicles he has a 03 ford ranger. and i used to have a mercury sable. so i would like some feed back on this before i add it.. or not.. thank

ive used it and never had a problem. aslo there is better stuff out there like chevron with techron but basically there all the same. just follow the directions on the bottle;):cool:

I think the gas treatment will be a somewhat cheaper or same difference alternative to getting the 93 octane at the pump. The main thing I'm always concerned with is getting the water out of the gas. Water from the tailpipe has never been good in my opinion.

Actually, water from the tailpipe is not an indication of water in the gas, but is a normal by-product of combustion. You will see it only when the exhaust is cold as it will vaporize before it reaches the tailpipe with a hot exhaust.

chevron or lucas is the best on the market,,,stp is cheap stuff,,only use the other two every 5k to 10k miles.....

IIRC,

it goes like this. In a good running engine, three major polutants are released. HC (Hydrocarbons), CO (Carbon Monoxide), and NOx (Oxides or Nitrogen).

Actually, I looked it up...I was thinking of something else before.

The main emissions of a car engine are:

Nitrogen gas (N2) - Air is 78-percent nitrogen gas, and most of this passes right through the car engine.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) - This is one product of combustion. The carbon in the fuel bonds with the oxygen in the air.

Water vapor (H2O) - This is another product of combustion. The hydrogen in the fuel bonds with the oxygen in the air.

Water is perfectly normal, unless you have it pouring it out of the tailpipe really bad. That could indicate a blown or leaking head gasket.

Tom