NEED SERIOUS HELP ASAP!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
I don't know what is worng with my trac... it is something similar to XST problem with stalling.

My 2001 Job 2 ST drives perfectly fine, but when i put it into reverse, it starts to sputter and then it stalls!?!?!

It makes absolutely no sense to me how this could start happening out of the blue?! It idles fine in drive and fine in neutral... once i throw it into reverse the rpms drop.. and it sputters a couple times and the stalls....

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?! :(

I did take a quick peak and did not see a crack on the vacuum hose.. just to verify.. the vacuum hose you are speaking of is the one that is located right behind the alternator correct?

I just find it very strange that it is only happening in reverse.

BTW, I still have no found the issue with my ST. I thought I had it repaired, but it stalled on me the other day. I did the following things, and nothing has changed....

Seafoam

IAC Cleaning (2x)

Cleaned Air Filter

Replaced PCV Valve

Replaced Vacuum line from EGR to PCV

Changed Fuel Filter

Cleaned MAF

Cleaned Intake Tubes, etc.

Had the tranny checked by a transmission shop and had my $400 ipod ripped off :)

I am going to make another thread, I dont mean to hijack yours. But it is very frusterating, because no one seems to want to investigate it even if I tell them EXACTLY what happens, they wanna see it themselves, which I mean there is nothing to see, it stalls. Mine however only acts up after about an hour or so of driving, and when braking to a stop, or going slow around corners. No one wants to spend the hour to see it happen.

I had a slight issue like that, the dealership replaced a head gasket or something like that. I can't remember, it was a while back. Maybe there's a TSB about it.

I'll see if I still have my invoice.

I read your posts XST.. and i have done most of the same things you have tried over the past year. I will have to go over everything to see what the issue is with it tho...

It just started happening a couple days ago.. I'd drive around town then hit reverse to parallel park and it stalls.. then a few hours later i went out for dinner and it worked fine.. then this morning it started acting up again..

I'm totally lost.. why only in reverse?! has anyone ever experience this?

The only other thing I can think of is to check the TPS voltage at idle or turn the idle screw in 1/4 turn to see if it needs the voltage raised or allow a little extra air in...

Also check the EGR valve.

The tranny goes into "full pressure" in reverse, I cant see the extra fluid pressure loading the engine that much to make it stall....

Any one disconnect the batter over night and try that ??

Todd Z

My thoughts on why it is only happening in reverse.

Obviously our vehicles are driven forward 99% of the time which causes the engine to shift slightly to the left when put in Drive(forward). I'm thinking that there is a vacuum hose somewhere that has deteriorated and when your truck is put in Revere it causes the engine to shift the opposite direction. That slight shift in the opposite direction could be causing a deteriorated/cracked hose to open up exposing the leak. Not sure but it's my thoughts......

Thanks Todd Z and Lil Red!

I will go ahead and take a closer look tomorrow when it warms up here! I'll check the TPS, EGR and check for any vacuum leaks.. I was pretty stressed out the past 12 hours... but I'm able to breath a little easier knowing that I've got my little online tech garage here!

I'll keep you posted if I find out what is wrong!

Ok... I tried the EGR valve vacuum check.. I resetted the battery/ecu and i checked the hoses and IAC motor...

I really don't know what is wrong.. but now my trac is starting to sputter and almost stall in drive now.... it feels fine in neutral still tho..

I have an appointment with a transmission shop tomorrow a.m., but before I take it there.. can anyone tell me if I am wasting my time with a trans shop? is it a transmission issue? or is it something electrical or something for a mechanic shop?