Need some engine help - 2001 Ranger

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
Scott's 2001 Ranger had the CEL come on last week and then shut off. The truck is running fine and at the moment, we haven't had the time to take it to autozone to have the code read. However, we examined everything a bit more today and found something puzzling. First off, not sure if this matters, but an excessive amount of condensation is coming from the entire length of his exhaust. Again, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I figured I'd throw it in as a clue. Regardless, after looking at the engine for a second, I could hear a loud suction sound. After examining the air intake, I found a small tube with a large cut taken out of it. It fits ever so snugly on the metal peice next to it, so I'm thinking maybe it was rubbed raw. When I covered the hole, the rpm's seemed to drop and the engine got quieter.

Below are pictures. I circled the wire in the first picture. It runs from the "ball-looking" thing (girl terms) in the second picture to what might be the manifold (?). The last picture is of the cut section of the tube.

Does anyone have any idea what this tube is. The purpose it serves. If it is the possibly CEL cuprit. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Yup, that's your problem. It's a vacuum hose that's cracked. Get a new one and all should be good.

That "ball thing" is a vacuum reservoir.

In addition to a new hose, I'd either wrap it with something to prevent it from happening again, or zip tie it tight to the A/C next to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
1,001 thanks Tiger. I had suspected it to be the culprit, but wasn't completely sure.

One of the VERY BEST things to wrap a hose with it some Jeans material and a couple of zip ties. Jeans are so tuff it takes forever to wear thru...

"Ball-thingy"??? :eek: :lol:

Put some electrical tape on it to seal the hole until you can get a new one.

This is probably the vacuum line for the HVAC controls. The ball-thingy is a vacuum reservior to store enough vacuum when you have the throttle wide open, etc.

You might be able to re-route the little plastic vacuum tube so it doesn't rub on anything.

GOOD CATCH, JENN! That one could have been a very hard one to find!

Glad you caught my technical terms Gavin. LOL Yeah, it just looks like a metal ball thingy. :lol:

Regardless, it's funny the Scott calls me when something's going on with his truck. I know my way around somewhat, and I know when something doesn't seem right. He's very appreciative of not only me, but this site as well. I guess that's why he's marrying me this Friday. :wub:

And, he's letting us forego the limo to take the ST instead. Hopefully I'll get some pic's of us driving off in the ST.

man you totally threw me off there, my names scott and i also own a 01 ranger...werid mines working fine :wacko:

but yeah, tiger hit the nail right on the head, that should be the problem

Thanks for the well-wishes Gavin. I assume by kids, you mean my 3 little furry kids, then yes, they are doing GREAT. I'm a little nervous about leaving them for so many days (we wont' be back until February 27th). My neighbor LOVES them though, so she'll be coming over every day to play/spend time with them.

And Scott, kinda funny about the coincidence. I'd assume though that you'd notice if some stranger was outside looking under your Ranger's hood. :lol:

Speaking of a "limo" for a wedding. We had a 1928 Ford Model A Phaeton 4 door convertable.

Sweet ride.

Tom

Latest posts