Need some help please!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kane Oster

Reaction score
hey everyone, if someone could give me some advice I would be greatly appreciative. Over the last few months my trac everyonce and a while would sort of idle rough backing out after it had been sitting there for a while but only everyonce and a while and not on a normal basis. So I took it into the local ford dealership and i guess it didnt do it while it was there. Well I was looking at a used car a week or two for the fiancee and the salesman has experience working on fords from previous jobs and he said he thinks it is the computer that controls the throttle and it is not learning correctly (i forget the name he said).

Well it is starting to do it on a normal basis when i trun it on after sitting overnight. Now after it put it in drive it runs fine, but when i back out that first time it lurches backwards instead of smoothly.

So my question is, if that is what it sounds like to you guys as well how do I go about maybe resetting the computer if that will work. Or what other things should I try or have the dealership look at?

(We live in an apt complex and have limited space, I also know the basics of car care and not much more) just to give a guideline of what I can do or attempt to do haha.

Thanks guys

Sounds like the TSB or recall or whatever that tranny issue was some time ago. They did that on my 01, said the fluid was incorrect. Replaced the fluid and all was good. Its not the engine, and its most likely not the computer. More help is on the way, I am sure. This place is a wealth of knowledge!

Could be as simple as a dirty fuel filter and it is taking a moment for the fuel to get to the injectors.

Could also be the IAC (Idle Air Control) itself. Which, is a very common issue with the Trac. There is a project here at the site on how to clean it.

Could be a small vacuum leak as well, which would give false information to the computer and thus to the IAC which is what controls the Trac at idle for the most part. I suggest checking the PVC Elbow to ensure it is not cracked or have a hole in it as it is also very common to fail at that location.

Mine has done it since brand new 2005. Now has 55,000 miles and still does it. It is very random when it occurs and it is rare but happens enough for me to realize it. I just give a quick tap on the gas pedal and all is back to normal.

My o5 does it on occasion as well. Maybe 2 or 3 times per year. I unhook the battery for a few minutes, and it runs like new until next time! Haven't figured it out myself.