Need Suggestions on Hitch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife wants furniiture this weekend, and I have finally gotten the green light to get a drop hitch. Any suggestions for a cheap, exact fit for my 01 ST? We are traveling Friday to get the furniture so I need something quick in the DFW area. I don't mind installing myself, as I think they are pretty easy to install? (please correct me if I'm wrong). Any help or suggestions would be great!

I have a Hidden Hitch. Cost about $119. I like it. I didn't install it myself since I was still recovering from elbow surgery, but a friend who owns a tranny shop put it on and said it wasn't hard. I'd suggest friends or jackstands to hold the hitch up while you get the bolts started, it ain't exactly light. :cool:

All the hitches mount the same. I installed mine by myself using stands. I recommend having human help for the extra eyes and hands, not just for the starting bolts, the bumper assembly needs to be positioned properly to the body of the truck.

Also, there are several "styles" for the hitches. Round or square tubing for the cross tube and where the square receiver tube is welded to that tubing. They are either welded at the same level as the cross tube or welded under it. When it is below, only the receiver tube shows because the cross tube gets tucked up next to the spare tire. Which tends to be visually more pleasing when viewed from the back.

I have a Valley Industries hitch that is a round tube welded in the first way I mentioned. I paid about $110 for it, I really should have spent more and gotten the other type. I'll do that on my next ST. :D

This is how I got mine real cheap from U-Haul. Walked into the place and asked for a hitch for my ST, the guy brought it out and said some silly price, so I made up a name for a car dealer and told him they sent me down here to get this. Ok he said it will be 75.00 how would you like to pay for it. Pretty cheap for a class III hitch, and receiver.

damn, should of waited a little longer. I went to U-haul and got a hitch for $110. Not bad, but not as good as $75.

Question now is I have a 2001 ST. The part online lists for only 2003-2005. However, the uhaul people assured me that in their computer it was also listed for the 01. I am going to put it on after work, but by just looking at it, and the bottom of my truck I don't see how its going to bolt. Is there any difference under the bed between a 01 & 03?

Last edited by a moderator:
It super easy but make sure you get the bumper aligned correctly after I had mine all torqued down I noticed one side was a little higher. No biggie just had to crawl under the truck again.

Latest posts