New and wondering why I want an STA so bad

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatsnhose

Reaction score
I'm tired of borrowing my son's F150 for occasional tasks, but don't want a large pickup. I'm thinking of buying a small trailer and boat and will need to be able to tow both (and I don't want to put a trailer hitch on my wife's Lincoln SUV). I'd also like something my wife can more easily navigate when necessary and have room enough to take long trips without being cramped (like our old Ford Edge). So why can't I stop looking at ST's and STA's that are 10+ years old and seemingly so over-priced on the used car market?
With that said, I, too, am wondering what production years, models or engine specs to look out for or stay away from before I buy. Also wondering if I need to stay away from one with >150K miles or what pre-emptive part replacement may be needed to keep one alive over 150K miles?
Thanks.

Yeah, these hold their value a ton.... 100K mile v8s are 12-16K.... People are still asking and getting up to 20K for an adren…..
Its nuts....

Yeah, these hold their value a ton.... 100K mile v8s are 12-16K.... People are still asking and getting up to 20K for an adren…..
Its nuts....
That makes my day.
My Credit Karma app shows its worth under 3K.
Now that Ford made them obsolete. There getting popular! I get questions all the time about the Adrenaline badge.
Ram truck owners are always buzzing around me like there something special. I always laugh at the cartoony graphics on the trucks.

Go to KBB.com. That’s what the banks value the truck at and Max loan amount with sales tax would be.

hate to say it but for a small pickup, Nissan Frontier is probably the best value currently..
STAs and Tacomas are great trucks but the second-hand market is insane on these.

I see lots of STAs for sale with over 200k. My sense is that as long as well treated, not thrashed at high rpms or maintenance neglected, they will get there routinely.

I feel ya. I fell in love about 10 years ago but just could not justify the expense at the time. Then they discontinued them...I spotted one on Craigslist for $2000. It needed some stuff but it's a 20 year old truck. I bought it 6 months ago and have not been disappointed. Mine is only a Gen 1, but it's perfect for me.

Some things that I'd look for other than mileage and cosmetic damage, like rust, is needed options. I would look for one that is still as it was when it left the factory. I always figure those expensive engineers know more about that truck than I do, so I do not upgrade anything other than the radio. One of the most important for me is the bed extender which I use a lot. Normal bed is only 4.5 ft, but with the optional extender it becomes a 6' bed which will haul up to 10 ft lumber. The moon roof looks nice, but something I seldom use it and I would prefer not to have one as mine leaked the last time I washed it. Once that ceiling upholstry gets wet, it is probably stained forever. A good rule is to get coolant, transmission, brake, and steering fluids changed right away too. Just my opinion.

I currently own a 2003 Gen 1 (400,000 km) and a 2009 STA (320,000 km). Both run great, but they do need routine, regular maintenance, no different than any other vehicle. Very happy with both of them.

We have a 2004 Gen 1 STA w/80K mi. It's a second mode of transportation, which is why the low mileage. The power windows (including the rear window) and power moonroof work great and have never leaked. The radio needs a fuse replaced (we think), but everything else has always worked for us. It's been in AZ for the last 15 years so we're not worried about rust. What d'ya think it's worth?

We have a 2004 Gen 1 STA w/80K mi. It's a second mode of transportation, which is why the low mileage. The power windows (including the rear window) and power moonroof work great and have never leaked. The radio needs a fuse replaced (we think), but everything else has always worked for us. It's been in AZ for the last 15 years so we're not worried about rust. What d'ya think it's worth?
I couldnt give you a ballpark estimate withoutseeing and driving. I like the mileage though.
My was a garage parked low mileage until I moved to Oregon and then Washington. Im sure yiur under carriage is really clean as well. I was shocked when I saw what happened to mine in just a couple of years.
So many variables... I would look for prices in your area on line and in the paper, Auto Trader and ask as much as possible and then be a little flexible as well.
I know thats no help but, you have to do the research and accessories and Models help prices. Base model vs Adrenaline can make the price drop or jump. Good luck!

Latest posts