New Audio System, pops when I power up??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach harrison

Reaction score
I'll post pics later this week but I had both my amps and a sub put in by a local kid because I just don't have time. He did a pretty decent job but when my system powers up, there is huge pop which I do not like at all. Any suggestions? I've never had this problem with these components before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a grounding issue... Also where did he get the trigger tap from and the power and ground for the amps..

also do you have any caps in the power lines???

Todd Z

I'd need to recheck all his work but I'm pretty sure the amp power is coming off the battery with 1 in-line fuse and they are grounded to the body behind the seats. The amp kit was made by Monster, I just picked it up at Wal-mart but it had everything he needed.

You need a delay for the sub. I had this problem in both my '02 and my '07, and it was fixed both times by delaying turning on the sub by a few seconds after the radio came on. The timing is tricky, so talk to a QUALIFIED local installer who is familiar with your problem.....

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I have a pretty nice Alpine and all the sound is coming out of pre-amp outs. All the comps are running of a 4 channels amp, and my sub is running off another amp.

Zach,

I think I figured out your problem...as I reread your posts I noted two things:

- "installed by local kid"

- "items purchased at WalMart"

;)

Good luck.

TJR

Thanks for the insight TJR. The guys works for a stereo installation company but is attending school, so he's got the insight, but not the supplies. The items purchased from Walmart were nothing more than precut power cables and RCAs.

I may have to just take it up to the local stereo shop to have them oversee the issues. $60 installation for my head unit and 2 amps was too cheap for me to pass up as I have zero free time, guess you get what you pay for.

Zach....your problem has nothing to do with where you bought it from. Do yourself a giant favor and listen to what I am telling you. Find a local reputable car stereo installer who knows two things: what a delay is and how to install it for your sub. It shouldn't cost very much (less than $100 for the part + labor), and your problem will be solved. Then you can stop wasting time on here posting and reading other useless responses to your problem.

dcpmark,

Re. "useless responses"; please note that I was joking with Zach.

Anyway, you say that if Zach follows your advice his problem "will be solved". Sounds like a guarantee to me. I guess if Zach pursues your advice and it doesn't work out for him he can seek a refund from you?

Again... just joking. Yes, it sounds like you know what you are talking about, but there's always room for a little levity.

TJR

LOL! TJR, I knew that you were just kidding, and now looking back I didn't even mean to single out your response. I was just concerned that Zach stayed on track to fix his problem, and didn't waste his time responding to advice that had nothing to do with the problem. And yes, I guarrruunnnteeee (in my best southern drawl) that if he listens to me his problem will be solved....:D

I will guys, just trying to find a shop that carrys my exact sub brand so they can tell me if my specs for the box and power will get max potential out of the subs. If my damn 8w3v3 had come in, I would have had the JL shop do everything in the first place. Oh well.