New Battery Recommendations, Please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consumer Reports tested batteries last year, as I recall the top-shelf battery from NAPA, Duralast Gold, and the Wal-Mart MAXX were top of the heap.

Sears Die Hard, which I'd bought for years, finished near the bottom of the pile.

Consumer reports linked below.

Sears Platinum 34/78 blew away the Optima Red 34/78 and the Sears comes in a native Group 65 for the Trac.

Both are manufactured by Johnson Controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duralast Gold. Just got one 2months ago, $74+tax after trade. The sears platinum is twice that price. Not worth it to me.

I dropped a Duralast in when my OEM battery went out after about 5 years of service. It's been in there for between one and two years and is still running strong. Plus, it's the cheapest battery on Consumer Reports "recommended" list.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have all the docs make them warranty it. I lost the receipt for my yellow top and I think it was over the warranty anyway, but I'm sure Pep Boys would have worked something out.

The reason I took a chance on Sears was the similar architecture to the Optima, same manufacturer, and if I walk in with a dead DieHard, they pretty much need to do something about it anywhere I can drive to a Sears in this country.

I know, I have walked in on foot carrying those POS DieHards dead and they've had to charge up a new one for me. This happened 2 years in a row before I got tired of carrying a car battery on the subway. This was before they began to brand them "North" and "South" for the change in climate as if that was a good reason.

If you ask me, a battery should not be labeled for a climate zone, it should just perform as expected all around. What if I move or go for a drive? I mean WTF do they think CCA means?

COSTCO looked it up in their computer, warrentied it because it was less than 3 yrs, and gave us credit for what we originally paid for it $107 & change. The current price at the COSTCO out here is $147 & change. So, it ended up costing us just over $37. Can't complain about that.

Good of them to stand up and do right by a customer. Every now and then these stores surprise me and actually put their computers to good use.

Both Costco and Sam's Club do an outstanding job when it comes to taking care of their customer's warranty issues. The next time you have to replace your battery (after the warranty expires) my recommendation is Duralast. AutoZone also does a good job of handling warranty issues.;)

I don't know, but I am still running the original battery in my '99 Taurus. Also in the ST. I will be sticking with the Motorcraft when I replace mine. Been good so far.

Mike

I am still running the original battery in my '99 Taurus. Also in the ST. I will be sticking with the Motorcraft when I replace mine. Been good so far.

This is exactly why I did not hesitate to buy another Motorcraft battery for the ST last week. The OEM in my 01 lasted 6 years plus, with environments from FL summers to OH winters. Dealer got me for about 130.00 installed, the Duralast Gold would have been 90.00 plus, and I would have to install it.

Latest posts