New brakes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug K 2

Reaction score
It's about time for new brake pads and probably rotors as well. About 85k on my 2008 trac and still haven't replaced them. I haven't heard any noise coming from them so I haven't even really thought about it. Probably not the best way to go about it. Haha I got new tires and when the wheels were off I took a look at the pads and they were still in decent shape but getting close. The disks weren't too bad but some corrosion around the lip. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what brand/model I should get. Nothing too expensive but not the cheap stuff. Good quality without breaking the bank. Haha thanks.

Check RockAuto for choices, including Motorcraft. Also search this forum - since brakes are a common replacement you should find lots of opinions. You'll want to include brake fluid replacement with this job.

I have used two or three sets each of OEM (Ford, not Motorcraft)and ThermoQuiet. To me,m they are very similar in performance and wear.

I've been using the Wagner SevereDuty pads. I "enjoy" mountain road driving and, while they take a bit longer to warm-up than OEM, I haven't noticed any fading as I have with the OEM and ThermQuiet. I like them, but if I were driving only on city streets and major highways, I think the OEM are fine.

As long as the rotors are not scared, discolored from heat, warped or been turned or worn down to minumin. I reuse them. I score them with emory or a tool I have for my drill. Never had a problem. I havent used new rotors on my '04 yet. Using performance friction pads. Excellent brakes.

[Broken External Image]:

Well, if I'm not too late to confuse you, may I add my nickels worth.

I've been doing my own brakes since I was around 16 on my parents and my vehicles (and I'm still alive to post here :) ). Seriously, I may have been novice at first but perfected my skills with having certified mechanics for friends and others who had provided good tips to absolute perfect installations. I've always been OCD.

I have an '01 Trac and live rural in mountain areas. I also ride brakes hard traveling fast speeds, tailgate and stop only when I get to the STOP sign (I know, all bad habits). I used to only use Motorcraft rotors on my Trac, then tried Bendix, and then decided try Centric because of their black electro-plated hub section and double angle ground surface. They also come vented which I prefer for heat dissipation, especially because of my bad stopping habits. The hills are a killer when it comes to rotors getting out-of-round.

The Centric rotors are very well priced without compromise to long wear. Initially, I was skeptical because I had noticed the warranty to be only 90 days as compared to a year with others. But, I've learned over my years of existence on this planet that warranties are often not a true indicator of quality. Matter of fact, I just ordered my 2nd set of these Centric rotors a few weeks ago since I've been liking that the hub area don't rust flake and they have served me very well through TWO pad changeouts.

I've also tried all sorts of brand pads but decided to try the Centric Posi-Quiet Extended Wear pads when I first tried their rotors. I used to do the Metallics years ago which are OEM preferred on my Trac but I'm anal about dusting on my wheels and have been using the Ceramics even though they aren't as good on fade resistance. I don't really notice any fade issue except maybe toward the end of a steep grade but do notice the greatly diminished dust factor. These Posi-Quiets come pre-scorched which is an advantage in your important bed-in period on most pads. Again, I'm impressed with this brand of pad which has been excellent in my book and again the price value is great too compared to some of the other EXPENSIVE brands I've tried like Akebono (which I didn't like - believe it or not). I ordered a new set of these pads as well which come with shims and clips by the way.

On the Rock Auto site, I order rotors from the 'Daily Driver' section and not the first one you see classified as 'Economy'. I've never ordered from the 'High performance' list because I don't feel it's worth the cost to go drilled and slotted.

If your interested, I looked up the 2008 Trac and here's some numbers. You could save some money when buying these.

CENTRIC ROTORS (Premium):

12065118 - Front = 48.79

12065090 - Rear = 32.79

CENTRIC POSI-QUIET PADS (Ceramic):

10511580 - Front = 36.79

10509641 - Rear = 22.79

I Love the Advance Auto brand rotors with Wagner Thermo quiet or severe duty pads.

I have used the Motorcraft pads But find the Ford "Brown Box" OEM pads are much better.

They are different !!!

Todd Z

I have used the Motorcraft pads But find the Ford "Brown Box" OEM pads are much better.

They are different !!!

Yes, they are (prefer the Ford over the Motorcraft).

I just got a set of SevereDuty front pads (SX833) from Amazon for $38.25. I have paid far more, close to $100.00, as I recall, from locals shops in the past.

(I tried three local shops, but none had them and none were willing to order.)

Latest posts