new cars from the "other guys"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart Adkins

Reaction score
I saw a new GTO today, and all I can say is YAWN...I don't care what's under the hood or how fast it will go it looked like a Grand Am to me or maybe a Bonneville. If I hadn't seen the rear badging I wouldn't know that I saw it.

On the other hand I also saw a Chrysler Crossfire today and although I have always been a Ford guy, I have to say YUM! I want one!!! I'm not even big on sports cars, but this car makes you say," holy crap what was that thing?!" I like the shape of it, and you sure wont mistake it for something else. It has a cool wide stainless steel or chrome band that goes around the whole windshield like a frame and a pop up spoiler thingy on the back. Way cool!

The Crossfire from what I understand is built on the same platform as that small little wedgie shaped Mercedes sports car. Chrysler now owns Mercedes. The Crossfire is also extremely fast. I personaly feel that the Crossfire is too expensive though.

Me,

Diamler-Benz owns Chrysler. The name is now Diamler-Chrysler.

The GTO might be fast, but it is boring. I read an article about the GTO and its future. Holden is only going to make it for a year or two longer, after that, odds are the GTO will be a 4 door. Ha Ha Ha. GM, what a bunch of morons. It is almost as stupid as an IRS in the back of he Trac.

The Crossfire is really nice. Very sharp loking car. Chrysler has some of the best looking cars on the road.

Tom

The only bad thing about the CrossFire is that if you're over, say, 5' 10", you won't really fit in the coupe version. And if you do manage to squeeze into one, the seat is so low you can't really see over the fenders....makes hitting the apexes difficult at best. Other then that, it's a great little sporty car. I think it's a little too expensive, but much cheaper and nicer looking then the BMW Z4, or the old SLK....even though the new SLK looks darn good...

I'm a huge fan of the new GTO. True, it doesn't invoke a lot of emotion from the outside, but that's not always a bad thing. It's a sleeper if you will. The inside is quite luxurious however, much better then say, a new Mustang's. It rivals many German interiors, and is completly un GM like, which is a good thing. I'd take one any day of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crossfire also uses those run flat tires. The front and rear tires are different sizes. So if you have to order a new tire you have to order it for the specific location on the vehicle. This also means you can not rotate the tires.

And you better hope you never get a sidewall blowout on the road as there are no spares on the car.

I think the crossfire looks good until the back end. It just looks like it should be longer. Kinda reminds me of an old Chris Craft on the back end.

Crossfire roadster is the hottest car on the road. BBFTB

I'm buying an enclosed car hauler to pull it behind my baby, the ST.

never-ever giving up my ST:cool:

I don't know. The Elise will do 150 mph for a sticker price of only $40,000. Seems like a good deal to me for a Lotus.

From the Lotus Web Site:

Performance:

0-60mph 4.9sec (4.7 sec Sport Pack)

0-100mph 12.9 seconds

Top speed 150 mph

Fuel consumptionEPA 23 City - 27 Highway

Curb weight Base Car 1984 lbs

*(Touring Pack + 15 lbs. - Sport Pack - 20 lbs)

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad just bought a Chrysler Crossfire Roadster about three weeks ago. Man that thing is sweet! It flies too. I really like the lines and the styling, just everything is really nice. Definetly a hot car that you can't mistake for anything else, even though signs of the Mercedes styling can be seen in the design.

:rolleyes:I know this topic is for cars from the "other guys", but my dad just bought one of the 1500 special edition 50th anniversary T-Birds, cashmere inside and out-(sorta a mother of pearl off-white). I had been hugely disappointed with the directon the T-bird took in the beginning "way too flashy and plasticky", However thhis bird blew my mind, its definately "Lincolnesque" inside and out, nicely done in an understated way. I compared it to the crossfire and the bmw z4-and its definately more "polished" than the crossfire, and the z4 most surely ups the ante in finish and interior design than both. However the z4 is priced way higher and I'm still somewhat unsure that I like the outside design-at some angles I love it at others it can be quite ugly in my opinion-over all, I could live with it. Over all the cashmere edition bird prices out to $45000. with the only option available being the auto-stick transmisssion which is $177.00 With employee pricing this runs just about 38,000. which puts it in line with the cross-fire. The Bird is pretty quick too, but not really a hot-rod by any means. It should be on anyone's comparison list wanting to buy a 2 seater.:rolleyes:

Not deserving a name like Goat, or even GTO. The design a car, then slap a classic name on it. What a joke.

Personally, Ford killed the T-Bird. They overpriced it, underperformed it, and made it ugly. Sure, they are nice looking, but it should have been elevated to a sports car look. One step above the mustang, which isn't a sprts car.

Tom

Latest posts