new chevy colorado

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
no i'm not " jumping ship " or going to the other team, i just leased a chevy colorado crew cab for my company fleet. i am replacing the 02 ford ranger in the fleet. i needed a full four door pick up and chevy provided the best fleet incentives. i will give you an update on how it is.

but remeber , IT'S NO SPORT TRAC !

[Broken External Image]:

I've always liked the styling of the colorado, at least the sporty model. The base model looks rather plain. It could be a really sweet looking truck with a modification or two. ;)

I test drove the Colorado prior to my ST purchase. I was disappointed with the cheap interior, lack of armrest and horrible center console.

I really want to like the Colorado, but it is so plain and cheap looking, even the top of the line model fully equiped looks like a plain piece of junk, both inside and out.

GM really didn't sweat any details on the Colorado. Looks like something they had the junior engineering team put together in a couple of weeks and then they rushed it to market. Shame on GM for producing something as ugly and souless as the Colorado. Vehicles like this will hasten the company's demise.

I have the new H3 that's on the Colorado frame/chassis. All I can say is that I'm as enthused with this vehicle as I was with my 01 SportTrac purchased in 10/2000.

The ride is pretty incredible as is the comfort. The stares and questions are reminisce of owning one of the first STs in the land !!

I am awaiting the V-8 SportTrac to return to probably my favorite vehicle of all times.

i own the 05 ext cab Z71 colorado. i sold my ST and got that. i like it gets the job done. i just installed the k&n intake (200 flat out inc shipping) and tonnaue cover. Just bought neoprene seats for it. had it since june, no problems what so ever. just only 2 did it switch to 4 wd on it own, cause its electric.

try this become a memeber at www.coloradofans.com. thats where i got the discount for the intake and seat covers. the seat cover sale ends the 31st. and the intake is from paceparts.com all year round. compare the engine 3.5l I-5 to the 4.0 V-6. the I-5 makes 220 h.p. i think the ST makes 205 if im not mistaking. if u need anyhelp with anything just email me at

[email protected]

FYI: i still wish i still had the ST cause of the interior and look presentable. but i bought it off my bro and he "screwed me over" but i sold it and make 5 g's/ put 3 on the down payment and the rest for the monthly payments. the st is great in the snow in 2wd. fly on the highway and no way am i scared in it. i may be 18 but i just want to see how far i could test it.

UPDATE : afer picking it up from the dealer and an hour drive, in my opinon here are the pro's and con's :

pro's : looks ( from the front ), that's it!!

con's : cheap interior, rear drum brakes, way to small tires, tailgate feels like a piece of tin.

if you have three people in the rear-the person sitting in the middle has to sit on

the cup holders built into the seat. front seats have minimal support and no

adjustable headrests.

i had to pretty much go with this truck as it was in my company budget and chevy had a great fleet incentive. i don't want to offend anyone but it is no where near the quality of a sport trac ! just my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
You're on a ford site, so I kinda doubt that you're going to offend anyone by bashing Chevrolet. ;)

Thanks for the consideration though. hehe

I actually like the look of them from the front, I had one trying (poorly) to keep up with me on the way home today. Again, the trac was underestimated. I never saw the rear or sides of the truck, so I can't say much about them.

yooooo ! i purchase and manage a fleet of 40 plus vehicles ranging from toyota matrix to bmw's and infiniti's. i had to get a 4 door pick up and chevy had the best deal !

it would NOT be my choice for a personal vehicle. i always drive the vehicles before i put them into the fleet or give them to the person assigned to the vehicle. in 2002, i was told to get a 4wd vehicle for extreme weather as i must be to work regardless.

MY CHOICE : FORD SPORT TRAC, now i am on my 2nd company issued s/t !!

:D

Okay Gary S, we know you have used your fleet purchase as an excuse, and maybe we will forgive you for doing what you had to do...now get back in the corner and put your nose to the wall-lol:lol:

They rated poorly. Fairly nice looking piece of crap if you ask me...You can put a gold ribbon on a turd, but it's still just a turd!;)[Broken External Image]:

I appreciate the clean lines that most Chevies have but the side-effect is a generic and uninspired overall appearance. Ford on the other hand has the most sophisticated looking domestic vehicles (interior and exterior) on the road IMO. I've always liked how the Colorado looked from the outside but the interior...not so much. Even next to the ST's (01-05) aging interior, it still holds up much better than the Colorado. The ST interior is relatively more sophisticated and luxurious and I guess this is owed to its SUV roots.

I am impressed the Chevy's I-5 can produce more hps the our V6s but I heard they are noisy. I was surprised to see the H3 use the same engine as opposed to the V6 found on the Trailblazer/Envoy.

not noisy at all, i got the k&n intake from 700-3000 rpm can hear anything from 3000-red line you can hear it move. also i could have gone with the silverado for 2 grand more but i didnt want a huge truck and v-8. so i just use my fathers 02 silverado for big jobs. also to make the truck look mean u need the z71 package and fender flares. you just have to make due with it. i got mine 5 grand knocked off b4 the huge employee discount came out.

Seems crazy that GM put in a powerless gas guzzler 5 cylinder, when they had a very proven 3800 V6 that produces similar torque and horsepower, much smoother and more efficiently.

im not big on engine history, but was that the first time they put it in a production model car? seems like you know a lot. also on this engine, they have a coil for each cylinder. i find that very interesting since not that many cars have that, right?

well there isnt a chip out there yet, there is, but it seems sketchy like the once u findon ebay, just 800 dollars.

Latest posts