New Here - '07 v6 question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Mc

Reaction score
I just bought an 07 v6 XLT 4x4 in Dec before the new year because they dealer gave me a good price on the ST when my 01 Durango was having tranny issues (after dealer service, go figure). Anyway, the ST has good pickup from a dead stop, but trying to accelerate at 40+ mph, the ST is sluggish and unresponsive. After you mesh the peddle down, you feel it pause/delay and then start to accelerate. Is this normal? I miss my 4.7l v8, maybe I should have waited. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I just need more pickup. :D

I've been keeping my eye on intakes, TB's, and maybe a new muffler or cat-back.. but not to sure due to the fact its a small block and a v6. I don't want it coming out sounding like a wanna be v8.

Any suggestions anyone? Thanks!

Visit Zabteck.com for the 07 V6 Throttlebody.

Do a search here on the site fro a dual exhaust some one here had one done.

If done right it wont sound like a wannabe V8.

Also KKM makes the cone filter that bolts to your stock intake tube.

Good luck and welcome to the site!!!

Paul H

Here is a link to a post on the Zabtek V6 Throttlebody

http://mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=957270&REPLYCOUNT=8&sitename=mysporttrac

Here is a link for the dual exhaust. Now mind you that it is a single in dual out and also a V8 but it can be done. Also Magnaflow makes a bolt on cat back kit.

http://mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?

BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=946876&REPLYCOUNT=13&sitename=mysporttrac

And here is the link and sound link for the Magnaflow.

http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/trucksound/2007trac.html

And finally the site link for KKM for the filter

http://www.kustomz.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Big D as far as i know Doug from Bama Chips does carry the tunes for the Xcal2 that work on the 07 V6/V8 Sport Trac.

Paul H

Welcome to the site.

The issue your having is because the new 07 ST doesn't have a throttle cable any more, it is all electronically controlled. The computer opens and closes the throttle.

That is where the lag is coming from.

As Paul said, I do make a performance Throttle body for the v6 that will increase the air flow at a lower throttle position which will give you better throttle response, some more HP and slight increase in MPG...

www.zabteck.com

Thanks

Todd Z

Awesome. Thanks all for the replies and welcome. I will defiantly check out the intake and TB and possibly the xcal2 since as Todd said, the throttle is controlled via the CPU. I didn't want to put too much money in mods if I couldn't get the response I wanted.

Welcome to the site Matt!

These guys/gals will take good care of you here. As soon as the modified TBs are ready for the 07 V8's, i'm interested in getting one for the same reasons that you are.

Thanks Lil Red. Yea, I've been browsing the site and wishing I would have waited on the v8. I'm a guy, bigger is always better. Ha :) That's why I'm debating on putting money into this one or waiting for maybe an '08 or '09. Ford has a better track record than Dodge.

Welcome from me as well, Matt. I am a new V8 ST owner, and I too am taking notes every day from this site and all of the nice people that have been a part of it for a long time. Some of the best, honest replies I have seen on a site devoted to just one vehicle. Some would argue, but I think the new ST is a very clean, in order, refined addition to the Gen 1 ST, with major improvements in several categories, as others have attested to. Good luck with your new truck?;)

Hey Cubber. I wanted the limited, but it was out of my price range. I do like this years model more than previous years, minus the head lights. Overall I'm happy with it, minus the issue w/ the throttle response. I've read it idles a lot better, and rides smoother. Have you played with your ST yet? Does the v8 have the same sluggish response when you try to accelerate on the top end?

And agreed. The people on this site are very friendly and very honest.

I test drove an'07 v8 ST and had the same problem- no throttle response- when I tried to peel out in traffic, it wouldn't throttle up even when quickly floored. Felt weird!. Also i read it is less than 1 sec quicker thru the qtr mile and only 4 mph fasterin the qtr mile. More torque -sure...BUT.:(:rolleyes:

Jim, interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I emailed ford to see if they will flash the cpu via the dealer and fix the throttle response. If it can be done aftermarket, why can't they fix the issue from the lot floor? :)

Actually, I have plenty of throttle response when at highway speeds,,,,,,,,at least enough to effectively pass if I want to,,,,,,,,haven't really noticed what I would call a 'lag' at all yet. I am happy with the acceleration of the ST, but then again, I don't really 'race' it.

Matt I have an 07 V6 ST except mine is NOT a 4X4. I am Todd Z's tester for the V6 Throttle Body and it will solve your sluggish problem you mentioned in your original post. Go to Todd Z's website and look under the TB or instructions page. The pics and instructions used were from my ST and install. I am very impressed with this mod and it makes the ST so much better driving. This will be one of the better mods you do in my opinion. I am also getting ready to go an XCal2 just trying to get my old XCAL2 wiped and loaded. Should have that done before long too.

Latest posts