New led bulbs not working in back up lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I changed all my regular bulbs in my 2007 ST limited to led bulbs. Almost all of them worked no problems except for the back up lights. Regular bulbs work no problem but the new led bulbs will not light up.

Anyone know why this might be occurring? I tried 4 different brand new led bulbs plus these same bulbs work great for the tailights/ brake lights just not the back up lights. Thanks for any feedback!

Reverse polarity maybe ?? can they be turned and installed the other way ?
Could be the BCM ( Body control Module) not liking the LED

Reverse polarity maybe ?? can they be turned and installed the other way ?
Could be the BCM ( Body control Module) not liking the LED
Highly likely reversed polarity as a diode, the D in LED, only permits current to flow in one direction by design. Had the same issue with license plate lamps but they were easily reversed.

Thanks guys. To reverse the polarity can you just flip the led bulb or do you need to swap wires?
Sorry I know very little about vehicle electronics.
If you flip the bulbs and they don’t work you need to explore the BCM compatibility issue with LCD bulbs. I stay away from the LCDs on my 2002 Boxster for known issues such as this but haven’t had a problem with the ST.

Highly likely reversed polarity as a diode, the D in LED, only permits current to flow in one direction by design. Had the same issue with license plate lamps but they were easily reversed.
Yeah, I know and that's what i mean, flip the dam bulb...

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Once it warms up a bit I’ll check it out.
It’s -28 Celsius here in Ontario this week! 🥶❄️
The "Great White North"; warm weather will arrive sometime around July 1st, at least for a few days.

After you installed the LEDs did you have any issue with hyperflashing? I'm asking because I just switched mine and I'm having that issue and I have the same vehicle.

The "Great White North"; warm weather will arrive sometime around July 1st, at least for a few days.
Still waiting to take off the tuke, eh?

I put new leds on my 04 and they seem to work. But, all back-up lights are a waste of energy. I cannot see much better than if I had none at all. I would like to install a rectangular light under my bumper that would brightly light up about 20' of area when in reverse.

Latest posts