New Member... Questions:Tranny/ESP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Barnes

Reaction score
All,

I have been lurking at this site for several years and have enjoyed the wealth of information provided by the knowledgeable contributors. I currently have a Pueblo Gold 2005 XLT 4x4 ST and previously had a Black 2002 4x2. I bought both new and really love the Tracs (aka Sport Luxury Utility Trucks). When I bought the 02, I lived on a small farm in Texas and it was great for all I needed to do there. Last year I moved back to Colorado, in the mountains west of Denver, and the 05 4x4 does an excellent job in the snow (when other SUV's were spinning I might add).

Now to my questions: First the 05 auto tranny: When I shift into second gear and then stop, the tranny does not downshift into first when I start up again. Is this normal?

Now my question on the ESP: Ford has, via unsolicited mail, offered me a price on the Premium ESP of ~$1250 for a plan expiring in 2011 and 60K miles. The miles work for me as I don't commute. Is this the best plan that covers everything? They say it is in the offer. Is the price good?

Thanks

John

Go Buffs

Can't help you wiht the ESP, but the not shifting down does not seem normal. I let a tranny expert chime in though.

On another note, Go Buffs! Grew up near Bailey, CO, went to CU. I do miss the mountains! Be back in Oct for Elk hunting though.:cool:

I moved out of Colorado in 86 to Detroit, 88 to California, 98 to Texas and back here last year.... never missed an elk season.... not to rub it in, but my license was only $41 this year!;)

I left in 89 to Florida, 91 to California, 95 to Virginia, and that's where I am today. Just add a bit under $500 to that number for me...ugh.:(

That shifting is normal. When shifted in to 2nd, it stays there until you reach some speed that I don't now recall. The purpose is to decrease the torque, by lowering the engine RPMs, when starting on slippery surfaces. You have to remember to shift to 1st or Drive if you want to start in 1st.

There are several ESP options. I think I paid about $800.00 for the $100.00 deductible ESP that provides a loaner car. At $800.00, I think it was worth it for the first production year, but maybe not $1200.00 for a '05. Does the transmission have the 2-3 shift flare?

As stated the not down shifting is normal.

The 2-3 flair is this...

Drive the truck when it shifts from second gear to third, watch the tach and listen to the engine, Do the tac jump 200-300 RPMs before it goes back down??..

That is a flair...

The premium is the best one you can get if it covers loaner cars and only has a $50.00 deductible...

The are others with higher deductibles...

I paied 1,000 For mine new and I got the 7/70 with the $50.00

Todd Z

Todd,

I have not noticed a flare... I will watch it next time I drive.

Thanks for the ESP input. I just Googled Ford ESP and found the 6 year 60K mile Premium Care ESP plan with $50 deductable and rental car allowance for $1120 at fordwarranties.com. (Lombard Ford in CT) Sounds like a better deal than the factory offer.

Thanks again,

John

John, There is also a site sponsor that sells them, May want to try there..

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/bannerclick.asp?BANNERURL=http://www.fordserviceplan.com&ID=34

Todd,

I checked that site... for the past couple of weeks it has stated it is being updated so I can't get any pricing info. I will call their 800 number before I buy to check their pricing.

Thanks,

John